If you don’t approve of the church then don’t take part in its rituals

I often wonder how many atheist sit in church each Sunday going to the motions of singing hymns, receiving communion and praying to a god they don't believe exists.

Opinion: Each spring, thousands of non-believers allow their pre-pubescent daughters to don wedding dresses for their first communion. By Donald Clark

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/if-you-don-t-approve-...

Views: 94

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ah, yes. Crutch. My theist friend told me this morning that all my problems would end if I just came back to Crutch. When am I going to come back to Crutch? My friend talks to Jebus all the time even when he is not in Crutch.

I think I have made my point here.

I heard of one fellow who went to church with his family every week because he liked the music & the fellowship. To me, that's hypocritical to himself, & everyone else. There are many ways of playing music cd's, & visiting with people other than a damn church! What a waste of a person's precious time!

There's a lot to be said for participating in music. There are community choirs that aren't connected to a house of worship. (Though perhaps not in many smaller towns!)

Similarly, larger communities might have secular "unchurches" such as Ethical Culture, or perhaps a UU congregation that doesn't assume theism.

I played sax, took singing & dance, & have a LARGE music collection, none of which is church connected in any way, so I know this is a good thing.

Religious music can have strong emotional associations, too -- we had some threads about reclaiming and repurposing some of it (mostly but not entirely about Christmas songs). Jerry Phillips' Humanist Hymnal is one example; George Speckert's collection Heritage Songs of the Ethical Society (of St. Louis) includes many reclaimed hymntunes as well as other songs -- including lovely new lyrics to Amazing Grace. (And we also have humanistic words to the Hallelujah Chorus!)

I enrolled my kids in a parochial school, but I never went to church. If I did go into the facility for a wedding, and they did communion as part of the ceremony, I was that guy who sat alone while everybody near him went to eat flesh and drink blood. It was pretty clear what I was, and I was roundly treated like a subhuman by many of them for it. Didn't bother me at all. Those weren't my friends, and I didn't have an urge to pretend they were.

I bet  many  go to church or synagogue and just go through the motions..I was one....The only reason  I did  was because  it was expected  of me...I tried  to fit in  but  religion  was just  not my thing...Once  I learned  about  science  and read  the books I realized  what a joke  religion was...It wasn't  until  recently that  I realized and  admitted to myself  that I was an Atheist....Reading  up on it  I just  knew this  is what I was....Just goes  to show how educating oneself  can  open up  new  horizons and bring  satisfaction  to your life....

"thousands of non-believers still allow their prepubescent daughters to don wedding dresses for the distinctly creepy, coquettish ritual that is First Communion."

The author used the word I would use, "Creepy".

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Joan Denoo liked John Jubinsky's discussion Scientists Say Neanderthals and Modern Humans Coexisted in Europe for about 5,400Years
15 minutes ago
Joan Denoo posted a blog post
19 minutes ago
Joseph P replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Scientists Say Neanderthals and Modern Humans Coexisted in Europe for about 5,400Years in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
42 minutes ago
Freethinker31 commented on Freethinker31's blog post About that Bible
1 hour ago
Dr. Allan H. Clark replied to Scot Hinson's discussion Suicide ?!?
1 hour ago
Sentient Biped replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Scientists Say Neanderthals and Modern Humans Coexisted in Europe for about 5,400Years in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
1 hour ago
k.h. ky replied to Sentient Biped's discussion Flying Spaghetti Monster invades heaven.
1 hour ago
k.h. ky replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Scientists Say Neanderthals and Modern Humans Coexisted in Europe for about 5,400Years in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
1 hour ago
Ruth Anthony-Gardner commented on Little Name Atheist's group Atheist Ailurophiles
1 hour ago
Tara Toleman joined John Tidwell's group
1 hour ago
Sentient Biped commented on Sentient Biped's group Godless in the garden
2 hours ago
Sentient Biped replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Scientists Say Neanderthals and Modern Humans Coexisted in Europe for about 5,400Years in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
2 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service