If you don’t approve of the church then don’t take part in its rituals

I often wonder how many atheist sit in church each Sunday going to the motions of singing hymns, receiving communion and praying to a god they don't believe exists.

Opinion: Each spring, thousands of non-believers allow their pre-pubescent daughters to don wedding dresses for their first communion. By Donald Clark

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/if-you-don-t-approve-...

Views: 93

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ah, yes. Crutch. My theist friend told me this morning that all my problems would end if I just came back to Crutch. When am I going to come back to Crutch? My friend talks to Jebus all the time even when he is not in Crutch.

I think I have made my point here.

I heard of one fellow who went to church with his family every week because he liked the music & the fellowship. To me, that's hypocritical to himself, & everyone else. There are many ways of playing music cd's, & visiting with people other than a damn church! What a waste of a person's precious time!

There's a lot to be said for participating in music. There are community choirs that aren't connected to a house of worship. (Though perhaps not in many smaller towns!)

Similarly, larger communities might have secular "unchurches" such as Ethical Culture, or perhaps a UU congregation that doesn't assume theism.

I played sax, took singing & dance, & have a LARGE music collection, none of which is church connected in any way, so I know this is a good thing.

Religious music can have strong emotional associations, too -- we had some threads about reclaiming and repurposing some of it (mostly but not entirely about Christmas songs). Jerry Phillips' Humanist Hymnal is one example; George Speckert's collection Heritage Songs of the Ethical Society (of St. Louis) includes many reclaimed hymntunes as well as other songs -- including lovely new lyrics to Amazing Grace. (And we also have humanistic words to the Hallelujah Chorus!)

I enrolled my kids in a parochial school, but I never went to church. If I did go into the facility for a wedding, and they did communion as part of the ceremony, I was that guy who sat alone while everybody near him went to eat flesh and drink blood. It was pretty clear what I was, and I was roundly treated like a subhuman by many of them for it. Didn't bother me at all. Those weren't my friends, and I didn't have an urge to pretend they were.

I bet  many  go to church or synagogue and just go through the motions..I was one....The only reason  I did  was because  it was expected  of me...I tried  to fit in  but  religion  was just  not my thing...Once  I learned  about  science  and read  the books I realized  what a joke  religion was...It wasn't  until  recently that  I realized and  admitted to myself  that I was an Atheist....Reading  up on it  I just  knew this  is what I was....Just goes  to show how educating oneself  can  open up  new  horizons and bring  satisfaction  to your life....

"thousands of non-believers still allow their prepubescent daughters to don wedding dresses for the distinctly creepy, coquettish ritual that is First Communion."

The author used the word I would use, "Creepy".

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service