If we don't believe, why do we always talk about it?

OK, everyone here is an admitted Atheist.  I would love to have one string of discussion where we don't mention the thing we don't believe in.  All Atheists seem to do is talk about that thing and how other people are silly to believe in it or how other people will be upset if they find out we don't believe in it.  It's like someone with a gluten allergy constantly talking about bread in all its variations.  If you don't believe in it, it's really not worth mentioning.

We're Atheists.  Let's talk about life without that thing.  Don't mention it.  Not a single word.  Talk about your life in a positive way and not in a "Gee, I sure am glad I don't believe in that thing" way. 

I'd be interested to know how other Atheists swear. I always say "Oh My Word!" as I don't believe in that thing other people say and my word is stronger than that thing could ever be.  I also tend to say "Fuck!" a lot, but only because it is wishing anyone within hearing a pleasant experience.

I'm off to finish the dinner dishes and have a glass of something on the balcony. Discuss.

Tags: atheism, atheist, avoidance, choice, speaking, word

Views: 493

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

AN is the place to be to say whatever you want to say, & nobody has the right to tell us what subject we can or can't talk about. I say if someone doesn't like the topic, don't read it.

I am an angry person as well, because I keep seeing/hearing things that make me see red. I just have to be careful with my blood pressure so come here to read & sometimes vent.

Thanks for your story.....that enrages me, as so many do! 

Three cheers, plus a few more, for you, Emmett.

Your Catholic school experience was worse than mine but I tell whoever will listen that Catholicism takes people who need therapy and gives them classrooms full of children. I also say that someday in the future, some of what happens in religious schools will be seen as child abuse. It will be far in the future because American law protected domestic animals for a century before it protected human children.

I too studied to teach (high school math and science) but wondered if I would be able to put my C school experience behind me. Happily, I encountered computers and enjoyed a happy career there. My wife taught school and I liked her co-workers better than I liked my co-workers.

My dad sent five kids to Catholic schools and, in a kind of tragedy, learned before he died that all five of us had quit Catholicism.

Emmett, thanks for that post. I, too, went to Catholic school, and my experience was about the same as you. We used to have an assistant parish priest whose name was Father Toomey - straight off the boat from Ireland. Bing Crosby, he was not!  At the time I went to school, one the popular cigarettes was Lucky Strike. On the bottom of the pack were the initials LSMFT. The tobacco marketers said it meant "Lucky Strike Means Fine Tobacco." At my school, it meant "Lucky Strike Means Father Toomey." You didn't duck quick enough to get out of the way of the brass ruler or chalk board pointer that he would use to give you stripes on your back. Later, it was learned he was a pederast. Fortunately for me, I was never molested. But like the typical case, he was just moved to another parish to prey on more innocent victims.

Catholicism takes people who need therapy and gives them classrooms full of children

True of helping professions in general.  Any job where there are vulnerable people to be helped, like children, patients in mental hospitals, poor people - attracts abusers.

Emmett, you went through a horrible time!  I'm so glad you have found an outlet.  You sound like a very neat person! Your students are lucky to have you!~ Mindy

Try spending a little time in Trumansburg or Dryden.  The Promise Keepers are out there.

Some of the most active groups on Nexus have almost no content related to religious topics.

But religion and religionists impact us continuously. There is nothing wrong with learning, venting, sharing strategies and experiences.

Thanks, Marty. You echo my sentiment about not spreading theistic memes.

Yes, there's work to be done in eliminating old exclamations and euphemisms from discourse too. I not infrequently find myself rewording posts to eliminate the crap still lingering in language learned decades ago.

My posts at AN are about real world issues. I've long since passed the stage of deconversion where theism has any relevance.

"If we don't believe, why do we always talk about it?"

I assume you ask this question from a serious standpoint? You are not kidding, or being sarcastic? 

I don't have any evidence that god exists, any god, and that there is no man assigned the task of redeeming me, or that there is a god who loves me or answers my prayers or solves my problems or heals my sickness, or saves me from hell or leads me to heaven.  There is no heaven and hell. 

I do have plenty of evidence that people who believe there is a god have a way of intruding into my life with notions they know what is right for me, how I should think and act, and want to impose their values, traditions, customs, beliefs and attitudes upon me. Many want access to my classroom so they can teach their nonsense, there are those want access to my bedroom so they can define my private and personal life. Some teach and preach to spare the rod and spoil the child, even as religious people abuse, assault, commit crimes against children and wives. Some even have the audacity to pass judgment on my dress or lifestyle. More than a few accuse me of not having a moral compass when religious history is full of murderous crusades, rape, exploitation, manipulation, and domination of others. 

I have no need for the preacher, teacher, busybody intruding into my affairs. I have a moral base that works far better than religious values. I define who I am and what is my purpose in life. I don't need someone else to impose these factors on me. Furthermore, some would have me remain silent in the face of fascism and domination. Well, that is just not going to happen. 

The ultimate put-down, discount, trivialization, demonization is when a non-believer even suggests that I should remain silent. What right anyone to impose their notions upon me. If someone wants to remain silent, or if people have no reason to make a loud noise, then do not do so. I don't care. Do what works for you. I am the judge of what I do for me. 

Marty posted this question because he lives in a leftist little "alternative" college town, Ithaca aka "Berkeley East", where there really isn't much religion, at least of the traditional sort (although alternative medicine is popular here, and that has similarities to a religion).    I know because I live there too. 

His question is reasonable, and that he would ask it suggests that he doesn't understand because living in Ithaca is very different than living in many other places.  There's a point to be taken from his not understanding:  Life is genuinely different in other places.  Sometimes the grass really is greener elsewhere. 

Marty left after apparently making only one post.  He probably came across A/N in an online search, saw how many of the discussions are about religion, and joined just to speak his mind about that.

He asked, can we have one discussion that isn't about religion?  There are discussions here that aren't about religion, but a cursory look doesn't show them. 

I don't ask the question he asked, because I already know that self-defined atheists are mostly in recovery from religion and and reaction to it. 

The nonbelievers are a different and much larger bunch, and atheist agenda will have a lot more influence if it can make good points to that larger bunch. 

So its another drive-by post. Oh well.

I thought the last line had an arrogant feel to it. Like a class assignment.

I think this is a good comment, and yet, the very name, Atheist, is immediately a statement that you suggest we avoid. So, let's talk about sports, or astrophysics, or how t-rex sounded when it was pissed off at the lousy conditions down at the Jurassic park.

My comment is pretty lame, but maybe it shows that this site is meant to talk about "that which shall not be named." Without those topics, here, it becomes like talking to a stranger on a park bench. My mama always said, "life is like a box of chocolates...".

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service