Although I take issue with his grammar, I posted a comment to a blog called "Proud Atheist." I thought I would share it with friends and others on this site. A link to the cartoons that accompanied the blog entry can be supplied by another reader. Suffice to say, they show a militant Jesus throwing scoundrels out of the temple. My remarks:

Being a reactionary at heart, I allowed a book review in “Skeptical Inquirer” to convince me at long last that it is counter-productive to put down any prophet: why should we hold Jesus responsible for the organized religious hokum known today as “Christianity”? It bears about as much resemblance to his teachings as a butterfly to a larva. Almost everything Jesus taught (save, perhaps, misunderstood statements about the hereafter) is honored and, in some cases, practiced by a great many freethinking men and women. Biology, that most hated of sciences among evangelical ignoramuses, teaches us that as socializing creatures, we develop a moral and ethical sense independent of religious teachings. Hopefully, the ever-increasing exposés of miscreant and hypocritical ministers, priests, pastors, &c., will open more eyes to this simple truth. Then, perhaps, we will finally see what one atheist dreams as “the end of faith.” From now on, I am going to punish myself for attacking the message of "Jebus," though I reserve the right to call his modern messengers "Christers"; their faith, Christeranity.

Views: 58

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh, it is interesting to know you do not believe in treating others as you would have them treat you. Remind me to run the other way when I see you coming.
Treating others as you would have them treat yourself because you care for them is a good idea.
Treating others as you would have them treat yourself because you want to be on the right side when God starts his cleansing is a bad idea.

Do you believe in the latter? No? Well, Jesus sure as hell did. And I consider that to be a very bad reason to be good: much better ones are available.

Remind yourself to read a post before you jump to a conclusion. Things work better that way.
I read your post. I disagree with you. I still do.
Of course, there was a Jesus. In fact, there are a lot of Jesuses out there. There are several in San Antonio, but i couldn't say what all the Jesuses are doing today.
Really, Maat DVB, enough is enough.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service