I need tips from you seasoned pros. How do you all deal with life's serious challenges?

Relatively recent convert here ( 6 months ago) and I am still in the post- break-up somewhat- disoriented phase. My life has a few very trying situations, which in the past would have turned me toward asking for divine assistance.

I abandoned my belief in God because I just could not justify the problems of suffering with a loving, caring and omnipotent God.

My most current version of God was formed by 12 step group think ( 18 and a half years of it) ie, the everything happens for a reason, let go and let god variety...

I realized that that is basically bullshit in the face of certain life events that are clearly not for my benefit...and I refuse to believe that "character development" was the purpose for the loss.

In any case, please share with me how yo cope with prolonged stress, and other "threatening" feelings and events. I'm afraid I am floundering at times.

Thanks in advance!

Views: 105

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Lisa, you're a irrational, traitorous, confused person. But that's ok. Hahaha.

I hear anecdotes like this and I look at it with a sort of cost-benefit analysis. I can imagine how voicing things out loud can help you. It is possible to have a brain disconnect sometimes where one hemisphere of the brain knows something that the other hemisphere does not. I learned this watching the Dr. House tv show. It turns out that writing or speaking an idea causes the other hemisphere of the brain to receive the idea and become engaged in the thought processes. That seems useful to me.

I'm not sure what benefits praying in your head could have. I would say that if there were benefits and if the person were not counting on supernatural assistance based on the thoughts in their head then it could also be useful. That seems somewhat less likely though.
Lisa, you're a irrational, traitorous, confused person. But that's ok. Hahaha. LOL, I know. It's the OCD in me.

OP, hang in there. Sorry about the lousy advise. I hope things get better and I guess the best thing to do is figure out a plan for every possible scenario and hope the dice falls in your favor. Trying to look at the big picture sometimes makes things not seem so bad.
My motto for life right now is plan for the worst, but hope for the best. the hardest part is living with the fear, and still doing what is necessary. But I persist, even if some days are pretty useless.

I like the idea of writing or talking aloud, I think that could be helpful, to get both halves of the head together. May try that!

Lisa, not lousy advice at all. Your responding at all makes me feel less alone in the universe, and for that I'm grateful.

And Tom, thanks for the laugh!
"And Tom, thanks for the laugh!"

I'm just glad no one took my joke seriously. :)

I find it awful when we are so critical of each other for being human. Of course we should question people when they propose dubious or seemingly irrational ideas. But I think we should be slightly less enthusiastic about condemning people for clinging to the irrational ideas and behaviors which help them get through the day without going crazy. I could cite examples here but I won't.
I hear you Tom.

Life is hard, and we all do some irrational things, cuz we are not totally rational beings...and if we can get through it by rubbing a crystal or taking a supplement with only sugar and water in it, then who am I to judge? I guess belief is a powerful thing, no matter what you put your faith in.

I am having a hard time not having anything to have faith in...that's where I am struggling. Its a lifetime of having an 'other' to fall back on I think.
That is a good one Rhett. I 'll try to remember that! Thank you!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

Sean Murphy replied to C.L.A.W.S.'s discussion Stem in the group Atheists who love Science!
15 minutes ago
The Flying Atheist commented on Daniel W (Sentient Biped)'s group Food!
19 minutes ago
The Flying Atheist liked John Jubinsky's discussion Evidence Confirms Amelia Earhart not Lost at Sea but Landed on Uninhabited Island
26 minutes ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to sk8eycat's discussion California Seems to Be Learning Something in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
42 minutes ago
The Flying Atheist commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
44 minutes ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to Daniel W (Sentient Biped)'s discussion Upscale Sodomites Spread Ebola @ Starbucks!
1 hour ago
Amanda Ashcraft posted a status
"Finally finished my move! And I managed to scrounge out two blog postings this month. Miraculous! My newest is here: http://j.mp/1vmSb3Y"
1 hour ago
Bertold Brautigan replied to Daniel W (Sentient Biped)'s discussion Upscale Sodomites Spread Ebola @ Starbucks!
1 hour ago
Grinning Cat liked sk8eycat's discussion California Seems to Be Learning Something
1 hour ago
Bertold Brautigan replied to Bertold Brautigan's discussion Raëlian DNA research project: Science proves that consecrated wafers are still wheat and not Jesus
2 hours ago
Daniel W (Sentient Biped) replied to Daniel W (Sentient Biped)'s discussion Upscale Sodomites Spread Ebola @ Starbucks!
2 hours ago
Daniel W (Sentient Biped) replied to Bertold Brautigan's discussion Raëlian DNA research project: Science proves that consecrated wafers are still wheat and not Jesus
2 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service