Views: 115

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh ... so not "Extra Crispy?!?"

LOL

Dan Barker rebutted the imaginary construct of "sin" very well:

“The very concept of sin comes from the Bible. Christianity offers to solve a problem of its own making! Would you be thankful to a person who cut you with a knife in order to sell you a bandage?”

― Dan Barker, Losing Faith in Faith: From Preacher to Atheist

I have not heard this one before. Great Quote. A keeper 

Good post, Grinning Cat. My concept of original sin from Genesis is the desire to gain knowledge of good and evil by eating the forbidden fruit. The serpent convinced Eve to do this, and she convinced Adam as well. Then their eyes were opened and they knew they were naked. Did they stumble around blind before that? Some claim this is a hidden reference to sex, so we have to imagine God was to continue creating dirt men and rib women for eternity before the forbidden fruit incident. Maybe God was playing like a child would, so he was angry that his experiment had now chosen to reproduce. Adam and Eve did not surely die as God said they would. Almighty God couldn't even see Adam and Eve because they had hidden behind a tree. (Superman could do better than that!)

So, "original sin" was either:

1. A desire for knowledge OR 2. A desire to procreate. Some say it was simply disobedience. Whatever it was, it appears to have involved the animals and all of creation! MAN made this decision and God's play toys were taken away. You would think God knew what was going to happen. Why did he plant that tree anyway?

But all was not lost. God first decided to kill his creation. Later he decided to come to earth as a man, and then kill himself. He would stay hidden, but if you believed all of this, there was hope of being "saved" or "redeemed" or otherwise put back together with God.

Personally I think it's the biggest fairy tale I have ever seen. The plan is stupid, ignorant, and just plain dumb. (But God works in mysterious ways) There is no evidence that any god is trying to speak with us. Genesis doesn't hold up, and God is imaginary. The baby has been thrown out with the bath water. No one can correctly define an "original sin." If God is imaginary then sin is imaginary!

The story is so silly, it deserves ridicule. Oh Yes! Obedience! The great imperative! Be obedient to what? Delusions! Well, let's take a look at some of the teachings of the new bible.

Matt. 10:34 - Jesus says he brings not peace on earth, but "a sword."

Luke 12:47,48 - Jesus says it is permissible to whip slaves.

John 15:6 - Jesus says anyone who doesn't believe in him must be burned. 

1 Cor. 11:3-10 - Women are inferior "because man was not created for woman, but woman was created for man". 

James 5:14,15 - Prayer by the elders of the church is the only sure cure for sickness.

Oh yes, cancer survivors, that should work really well!

Well, that is enough for today. Ridicule is not strong enough a word. 

Well said, Joan. Our world is fully involved in that "sword" that he brought. It keeps everything all stirred up. The gods live in the minds of the believers.

As for cancer, I have had basil cell. A walnut sized lump behind my ear appeared almost over night, and finally I had a local doctor drain and excise it. He wanted to send me to his buddies for laser treatment but I wouldn't allow it. You either got it all, or you didn't. Let's wait and see. My family was so sorry that I had cancer. I said, "sorry for what?"

Later I'm tired of cutting off a pea sized growth on my back. It was turning hard and seemed to have roots. My wife wouldn't mess with it anymore. A different doctor burned it off in 5 minutes and charged over $800 for that, bilking the insurance. I remind him that I could have had that done in 1980 with liquid nitrogen for an extra $15. He says "but what if it was cancer?" I told him not to scare me with cancer, and I changed doctors. Often it's all about the money.

I guess I'm saying do what you need to do, but don't be bullied around!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service