O'REILLY: I'll tell you why [religion's] not a scam, in my opinion: tide goes in, tide goes out. Never a miscommunication. You can't explain that.

SILVERMAN: Tide goes in, tide goes out?

O'REILLY: See, the water, the tide comes in and it goes out, Mr. Silverman. It always comes in, and always goes out. You can't explain that.

Crooks and Liars' comment: "The sun rises and the sun sets. The clock strikes twelve at noon and midnight. Neither of these prove the existence of God, but don't tell BillO. He'd be crushed under the weight of the moon's gravity."

http://crooksandliars.com/karoli/cls-top-videos-2011-37-billo-says-...

Views: 217

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Me too Loren. Ugh.

Yeah I agree Loren -- real stupidity shown here. Obviously he doesn't know any science at all.

I remember this came out about the same time as the Insane Clown Posse's "Miracle" crap. "Fuckin magnets, how to they work? And I don't want to talk to a scientists, they be lyin and gettin me pissed"

I remember thinking O'Reilly just found a house band.

And lest we forget http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tJjNVVwRCY&list=PL26CE4A94C033D...

His grasp of the obvious is beyond reproach. He blinded me with science!!! lol.

Seriously ? O'Reilly ? The man is an idiot and a media whore. His only goal is selling  his crappy show.Why can't we just ignore him ?

Ignore him at your peril.

Sadly, you're right, Pat. O'Reilly is full of it and no mistake. The operant problem is that he has an audience, a considerable audience who takes every word he utters as (you'll pardon the term) gospel. He talks, they nod their head and say, "Yeah, of course, absolutely," much in the same way the sheeple follow their shepherd's words at a church or synagogue or mosque.

We need to be aware of what O'Reilly and his ilk are putting down, if for no other reason than to counter it. His true believers may not be listening, may not want to listen, but others are, who may or may not know that Bill doesn't know his ass from his elbow. Whether that counterbalance comes from other news media or from atheist organizations, it remains necessary.

We cannot afford to cede the stage to the clown act.

It's more than just sad, Loren. It's dangerous. One of my favorite movies is Judgment at Nuremberg. Listening to Burt Lancaster's testimony reminds me of the current crop of "moderates" who, knowing O'Reilly and his ilk are full of vicious lying bigoted nationalistic shit, nevertheless choose to remain silent and let their bloviating hatred infect the body politic of our country.

Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it. George Santayana.

Among my fave quotes, Pat.  Santayana gets referred to often enough.  I wonder, though, how often people actually LISTEN to what that quote says.

Vis-a-vis religious nuts, I have modified Santayana slightly to fit the creature: "Those who do not remember myths are condemned to repeat them."  I said this with regard to Newtie Ging Rich and Callista Ging Rich when Marianne Ging Rich accused Newtie of wanting an open relationship, reminding them that Zeus seduced Callista (who, as a member of Artemis' religion, was presumed lesbian), then, in an attempt to hide the dalliance from the jealous Hera (Marianne), turned the young woman into a she-bear.  When I look at Callista, that is what I see: the she-bear.

Attachments:

As for Burt ... he got game, don't he?

It's obvious O'Reilly wasn't paying attention in elementary school. How does someone so ignorant get a media voice?

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service