So I'm 14 and was (am) raised as a lutheran. About 2 years ago I realized that it's all a bunch of crap, and i've been reading around the internet about atheism. I now think of myself as an atheist, but I don't know how to tell my parents. I'm currently going through confirmation, which is really ironic that I'm going to have to "confirm" my "belief." I don't know if I should wait until after I'm "confirmed", or just suck it up and come out now. I still have about 1 year until I'm done with confirmation. Also, my mom's friend's family is very religious, and we see them a lot and I don't know what they'd think if I came out. I know my parents aren't super serious about religion, but they make me go to confirmation every wednesday because "they believe having a strong faith is important." When I do come out and tell them, I don't even know how I would bring it up, or what I would say. It's not like I can just go up and say, "Hey guys guess what turns out I'm an athiest!" I obviously need some help here with this.

Views: 856

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well what do you think will happen to you if you tell your parents?

Cos the rule of thumb I would say is if it leads to violence or to any kinds of threats or mistreatment or a general increase in trouble don't do it.  4 years and you'll be 18 and can be much more independant.

However I want to encourage you so on the other hand if you can go to them and say "I don't want to get confirmed." and answer the inevitable "why" with 'I've thought about it a lot and I don't believe in god' and give your reasons for why, and say I'm only 14, I know but I don't want this and I hope you can support my decision because I don't want to do something dishonestly.

Don't worry about the friends of friends.  I don't want you to loose them but at the same time what is more important their feelings or yours?

Very good advice in the post above. 
Well, I told my parents I didn't want to do confirmation anymore, and they said I had to. I think they think it's a "I don't want to have to go every wednesday night" kind of thing rather than I don't actually want to be confirmed. I have confirmation again tomorrow, and I'll try saying it again. But my parents still insist that' it's important...

Let us know how it goes....

M.

I think my dad forgot I had confirmation today (my mom is on a business trip) and he's not as insistent on me going, so I think he'd let me stay.
Sounds like you dodged a bullet there :)
Well, I guess I kind of came out today. My mom brought up confirmation, and I said I didn't want to do it anymore. She asked why, and then before I could answer she asked "Do you not really believe this stuff or what?" The whole conversation was awkward, even though I'd been preparing in my mind for it for a long time. She said to do more research, and I said I had already and had read the Bible front to back, and it's hard to believe any of it. Then she pulled the "Well doesn't that make you feel lonely?" and I said not really and it makes me feel the opposite. I was pretty nervous and couldn't really think of anything to say of why I don't believe in god, so I think she doesn't think I'm serious. But the conversation wasn't angry or anything, and my mom didn't seem all that upset. I kind of accidently came out, I guess. Is there anything I should do now, or what?

What to do ? well do the research, keep exploring, and let your parents see that you are actively thinking about their beliefs. They will think that the research is brining you 'closer to god', you will get more evidence to move away....

Also if they ask, you could use the logic that as you are uncertain it would be hypocritical to make a public declaration one way or another (assuming you havent said outright that you are an athiest.).

The 'confused' teenager is easier for them to explain to their peers than an athiest, so let them take that option for a while. Dont forget that your unbelief is not just about you, it is also about your parents status as good parents who produce good little christian children.

M.

Well Gunnar, glad it went not bad and okay. 

I think you've done the hard part. So now just concentrate on growing up and developing your critical thinking skills.  This will serve you very well as an adult. And you've already taken a massive step that a great many adults never do.  This is to your considerable esteem and credit.

So yeah as Meddlesome said, continue to broaden your perspectives wherever possible. Learn some history learn some science. Learn about religion itself it's useful to know about it and understand it even if you don't believe it as none of us do.

It would be good to for instance read some of the other texts of other faiths.  Nothing is more confirming of the mythical nature of the divine than to read the foundational texts of other religions and their magical claims that you've probably never been taught. 

If these strike you as being rather fantastic and mythical then it's an even better grounding for you in the false consolations of the faith closest to you.

Basically, knuckle down for the next few years and do well at school - and after that the world can be your oyster and you'll be free to enjoy it, free of delusion.  Now won't that be nice?
It's a tough call. Have you thought about a soft approach, like instead of jumping right out there with your non-belief you could start by asking your parents some questions about faith, like "do you think there is evidence that god is real?"  Or "You know, science doesn't really agree with what the church (or bible) says on..........  What do you think about science vs. bible?"  Maybe by doing that it will open up an opportunity to discuss some of your doubts. You might find they have some doubts too. You also might find that they are very resistant to talking about it at all, which could indicate that "coming out" to them might not be the way to go.  Just a suggestion.  Remember, they love you, so it shouldn't be too hard to talk to them. Best wishes.

I am almost 27 and I still have not come out as an atheist to most people. Unless I think I can use reason to at least influence someone's mind about theism for their personal benefit, I usually just let people assume I am a Christian or whatever. Of course, if people ask me my beliefs, then they have opened up the conversation to a lot then. I wish it was not this way, but in the Deep South it's a matter of adaptation and survival. Telling my parents that I am an atheist will not influence their beliefs, it will not help them and in fact it will do them unnecessary emotional harm. So on that end, you have to be responsible.

But I also believe in being honest. I think you should tell your parents you do not want to go through this ritual (but like the poster before, only if it will not cause you any harm, and if that's the case then you should consider contacting your local child welfare agency if the harm can be serious!). Whether or not you give them the details about your atheism is up to you, perhaps you could just sum it up by saying that you want to give it more time to think about or that you do not feel that you meet the level of commitment required to proceed with the ritual. Or you can just spill your guts and tell them what the poster above said. At any rate, I'd give yourself as much time as possible to think about how to proceed.

I'm open with my friends about my atheism. And if a theist friend of mine decides to debate the issue with me, I mercilessly argue the case. I guess that sort of makes me a closeted evangelical atheist. But I see no reason to tell my parents the whole story. They know I don't go to church and perhaps they can read between the lines. And when a well-meaning soul invites me to church, I thank them for the invitation and just explain that I have other obligations around that time. If they press the issue then I allow myself to be a militant disbeliever with them. Oh and if they are some random evangelical I don't know personally, I hit them with reason as  hard as they can be hit with it before they give up and leave.

So think of the possible consequences of your actions. Be honest, but be responsible.

Strategically I think it would be best to start asking questions, such as "why do you think religion is important", "what do you think of different religions?" or "what do you think of agnosticism or atheism?".

Even though your parents aren't extremely religious, it would be a good idea to use a somewhat stealthy approach rather than just dropping a bomb that might be needlessly upsetting. This will give you feedback as to whether it's a problem for them or not, and whether it's a better idea to postpone telling them.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Joan Denoo commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
2 hours ago
Joan Denoo commented on nice girl's blog post Why I am here
2 hours ago
Joan Denoo liked nice girl's blog post Why I am here
3 hours ago
Jason Andrews commented on nice girl's blog post Why I am here
3 hours ago
Plinius commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
3 hours ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to k.h. ky's discussion Edward Snowden
4 hours ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to k.h. ky's discussion Edward Snowden
4 hours ago
Freethinker31 commented on DAN DANA's blog post This Is How the Gaza War Will End
4 hours ago
Patricia replied to Ceil's discussion Please help me maintain some sanity... It just isn't true!
5 hours ago
Patricia replied to Ceil's discussion Please help me maintain some sanity... It just isn't true!
5 hours ago
Patricia replied to Sentient Biped's discussion More than 30,000 Nexus members. Where are they?
5 hours ago
BIPLAB DAS posted an album

anti superstition programme

its our regular antisuperstition school programme. this time we are in CHHATNA GIRLS HOGH SCHOOL of BANKURA DISTRICT in INDIA. we are disclosing the miracle behind FIRE WALKING.
5 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service