I Got Chills (not the good kind) When Reading This News Item

The infection from the fundamentalist belt is spreading up here with an odd coalition.

I never thought the teaching of evolution would be challenged up here in Ontario. 

How the province responds is going to be an interesting test for my countrymen. I hope we are up to it.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/education/article/1254611--stock-le...

Views: 581

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

And the American fundamentalist virus spreads. I, too, hope my neighbors to the north are up to the challenge to stop the infection. 

I hope so to.  I still think that is a parent is doing their job, they will be able to communicate effectively with their child.  This is for good or bad ideals.

These people want to be exempt from being EDUCATED ... because their religious sensibilities might be hurt.  As a result, they will be less educated, less well-informed, in favor of a discredited book of nonsense which has more and varied interpretations than I really care to count.

Someone explain to me, please: WHY should belief trump knowledge?

Cuz gawd said you don't have to THINK, just have FAITH in his buybull..... ;)

You have my sympathy. It's scary how willful ignorance can spread.

A number of conservative Christian and Muslim parents ... are asking schools across the GTA to notify them when their child’s class will discuss topics ranging from homosexuality and birth control to wizardry, evolution and “environmental worship,” so they can withhold their child from classes that contradict their religious beliefs.

They are giving schools the same five-page “Traditional Values Letter” used by a Greek Orthodox father ....

Oh, yes, parents always know best.

At least the minister of education isn't giving in:

While school boards ponder how to respond, Ontario’s minister of education says the inclusive approach of Ontario’s school system is here to stay ....

“A little person can draw a picture of her two moms or two dads, for example, and feel safe and accepted. That’s what happens in classes across Ontario and that’s what should happen.”

Canada should build a border fence to keep our infection from spreading north. (Let me in first, I like Ontario.)

The world is going nucking futs.  Scary as hell.

I love your way with words. And you are right.

do you mean me Sentient? If so, lol, thanks! I always see you and I in agreement in these discussions!~Melinda

@

Good words! Nucking futs I shall remember. 

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service