im atheist but i believe in the supernatural.... i don't know how to explain it. im sure no one knows how to explain it, i you can please help me. im not ''possessed'' or anything i have had a few experiences such as an Outer Body Experience, OBE in short. My dad claims to have them also(hes christian and im out the closet only to him and friends who ask)

my first experience was when i was 6 or 7 i was sleeping in my room and i felt my body stiffen and i thought i herd something but i do remember what was said but i remember seeing a dark figure standing over me as if it was observing... i never told anyone this

my next experience was when i was 10, in my grandmothers house i was lying down in the middle of the day and i dosed off for a bit and i had my first OBE, i didn't do much i just walked around wandering what happened because i didn't know what and OBE was at the time. Ive had more OBE's

also my grandmother and almost everyone else in my family is highly religious. my grandmother has had her house ''blessed'' and i sometimes here footsteps in the middle of the night... when everyone is asleep.... and of course i look and no ones their, it use to scare me, but now im use to it

i never saw a spirit but i can hear their movements and i can feel when their near

can anyone help me understand this?

Views: 114

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There is a scientific reason for the experience your are having.  Nerd suggests a good cause for the out-of-body experience.  Also, Matt VDB suggest sleep paralysis.
Yes, as Nerd's article suggests, "supernatural" experiences like those you described can result from our brains trying to make sense of random firing patterns of neurons. In actuality, what causes these firing patterns are things like mild temporal lobe seizures or sleep paralysis.
I agree with all the other posters.  My BIL "KNOWS" there is an afterlife because right after his mom died he was on the golf course and he said something like "help me out here mom" sort of jokingly, and then he immediately 'smelled' the (bad) odor of her hospital room right before she died.  So really it wasn't just his brain remembering his mom and then associating that odor with the thought of her?  She has to go around for eternity stinking? LOL
This is about NDE's but the same principles apply.

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4261

"my first experience was when i was 6 or 7 i was sleeping in my room and i felt my body stiffen and i thought i herd something but i do remember what was said but i remember seeing a dark figure standing over me as if it was observing... i never told anyone this"

Hah. No worries buddy, I had that happen to me too a few years ago.

It's a well-known phenomenon known as sleep paralysis.

Honestly what you've described sounds like sleep paralysis.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

ohhh maya papaya!?!? who are you...?

ugh boyughhhhhhh... smoke some herb and really get busy pal. you'll be ok. dont' let em' git ta ya! LOL
n' peace!

check this shit out:
http://www.atheistnexus.org/forum/topics/egypt-s-square-cleared-by-...
My sister used to think she heard footsteps in her house. Her first instinct was to get scared, and think about ghosts. She said the footsteps started when it got dark. I had an idea of what it could be since i had the same problem. Well, that's raccoon time. Yep, i saw the coon climbing out of her attic. The way the warped, loose board hit when walked on made it sound like there was a person up there. It's all in the mind.
you're not an atheist if you believe in the supernatural.  there's no "middle ground".  either you believe in it or you don't.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service