I live in Largo, FL (Tampa Bay area). It seems like all the Atheist, Agnostic, Free-thinkers groups in the area consist of much older folks. Science bless 'em, but I'd like to find some people in my age group (25-35).
I attend college and work, yet I cannot find many interesting individuals out there. It seems like many of the atheists I meet are not in tune with the clever, and humorous, idiosyncrasies of the human race. I love science, but I also love the human ability to create art and give it symbolic meaning. I hate religion, but I still find it fascinating. I enjoy history, anthropology, philosophy, good literature, debates, dry humor, films, nature, cynicism, coffee, beer, and dialogue. If you want to drink some coffee and discuss The Brothers Karamazov hit me up.

Views: 5

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It seems like many of the atheists I meet are not in tune with the clever, and humorous, idiosyncrasies of the human race. I love science, but I also love the human ability to create art and give it symbolic meaning. I hate religion, but I still find it fascinating. I enjoy history, anthropology, philosophy, good literature, debates, dry humor, films, nature, cynicism, coffee, beer, and dialogue. If you want to drink some coffee and discuss The Brothers Karamazov hit me up.

I understand completely. In the words of Clinton, "I feel your pain." You raise an interesting point that I think is a the crux of the divide that sometimes evidences itself between atheists. Some tend to be more literal-minded and obsessed with a logical deconstruction of everything that crosses their paths. Though in agreement with these on the nature of reality, others are more given to metaphor. We stand to learn much from one another. I hope someone buys you a coffee or a beer real soon, Brandy.
Thanks. I would consider myself a very logical-minded person; however, there are some aspects of life that are not logical, and if one tries to use a logical approach there will be no gain from the experience. "Keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." I have just started to understand this balance.
I'm in Mississippi, so I know how hard it can be for atheists here in the deep South. Since you are in college, I would be willing to bet that there are at least a few other atheists around. Unfortunately, I also wouldn't be surprised if most hide their atheism to survive. Hit the local coffee shops, and see if your school has any activities that would be likely to appeal to atheists. And be sure to check out Meetup.com.
I want to start an atheist/agnostic school group but time constraints have prevented it thus far. I have checked out the meet up groups. Mostly older. There is one that consists of a few younger members, but they meet while I'm working and the one meeting I went to wasn't the most welcoming. I've created my own group here and on Facebook, so we'll see. Thanks for the ideas.

RSS

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service