One simple question:

To what extent do you agree with this statement: "I am a narcissist"? (Note: The word "narcissist" means egotistical, self-focused, and vain.)

Scored on a scale of 1 (not very true of me) to 7 (very true of me).

Turns out the results of this one question correlate very well with several other validated measures of narcissism, including the widely used Narcissistic Personality Inventory.

They call this question the Single Item Narcissism Scale.  SINS, for short (giggle).

Apparently narcissists aren't embarrassed by being narcissists, so you don't need devious tests. 

From http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/08/140805150645.htm

Views: 110

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My first answer was 1 (not very true of me).  After considering each of the 3 definitions separately, I give myself a 2 on egotism, a 4 on self-focused, and a 1 on vanity, my overall rating then becomes a 2.

Reading the article, I came across the word empathy.  I think my empathy is a 6, which still gives me a 2 overall.

I found and took the 40 question Narcissistic Personality Quiz, ( (http://psychcentral.com/quizzes/narcissistic.htm ), and it indicated I score 0 on desiring Power, a 0 on Exhibitionism, a 0 on Exploitativeness, a 0 on Vanity, a 4 on Self Sufficiency, a 4 on Superiority, and a 3 on Entitlement.  That averages to a 2 as well.

However, I didn't like some of the questions, especially the Entitlement questions.  Most of the two choices didn't apply to me.  I don't feel I have a sense of entitlement.  Not unjustified entitlement at least.

I am quite self sufficient, but I would like to rely on others more if I could find others I could trust.

I do think I'm superior to most people in intelligence, but not in physical prowess, looks, street smarts, command of the language, or communication.  So, I think my superior rating should be less than 4.

Of course, on Atheist Nexus, among the regular posters, it doesn't look like I'm superior in intelligence either. 

I didn't give a very simple answer to a simple question, did I?

That's funny Idaho. I scored a total of 4 on the test you linked. Mostly because, like you, I found the answers too extreme. There was no middle ground. With that being said I don't know how the test could be valid. I believe most people tend to a middle ground.

I chose a 3 to start and it told me I would likely balance my own needs with that of others, thanked me for taking the test, and that was it!

Scored 0 on the test you linked, Idaho.

Plinius, it sounds like you don't have much of an ego.  Good for you!

Well, let's begin that everyone is an egoist to a certain point. We have several needs that range from basic need of food and home to being respected in community and popular to a certain extent. So nobody can't be selfless to a point of completely ignoring their needs. I don't like how narcissism and egoism is mixed up so, I'll say yes, I can call myself an egoist but I'm not a narcissist at all.

I don't like how narcissism is used as a pejorative. 

There's a guy called Sam Vaknin who has a lot of writings online about narcissism.  He doesn't have any formal training in psychology - he's writing as a self-identified narcissist. 

His writings about narcissism are very negative, so he's actually bashing on himself.

He said he was horribly abused as a child, and it looks like he's continuing the abuse. 

Narcissism results from having been hurt. 

It looks to me like the definition of an egotist and a narcissist are close to the same thing.  Both negative.

RSS

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service