How a strong atheist and a strong theist, both having unshakable belief in their respective ideals, should meet?  The answer is that they should set an example of decency, for others to follow. Here is one such example. Mahatma Gandhi, I believe, was one of the greatest leaders of people in recent human history. I say this as an Indian and as a person having a great respect for him, but I doubt that this will be disputed. In the last four years of his life, he met a great Indian atheist. This is the story of how they influenced each other. This otherwise unbelievable story can be believed because it actually happened. It also shows us how we can take inspiration from great people.

MADHUKAR KULKARNI.

Views: 61

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How a strong atheist and a strong theist, both having unshakable belief in their respective ideals, should meet?  

Atheists by their very nature do not have the same kind of unshakeable beliefs as theists. Atheist believe in progressive thought and will willingly change their beliefs and ideas when faced with sufficient evidence to warrant such a change. Adversely, theists by their very nature must willingly refuse to change their beliefs despite being presented with evidence that contradicts their beliefs.

The answer is that they should set an example of decency, for others to follow.

I'm sure atheists are happy to search for a common moral ground with theists - and do - but it can't work the other way around, unfortunately. A belief system, such as Christianity, by its nature (ie, supposedly 'revealed truth') means that it can not be compromised in any way. To compromise it is to deny god and the truth.
Christians already believe that Jesus set the perfect, unalterable example of decency and do not see the need for any ammendments and addenda.

While many people would agree that Gandhi and many others could act as role models and that we should look for a 'meeting point', this is thinking like an atheist or at least a very liberal Christian (such as a Unitarian).
I believe the common ground already exists - and always has - morality is innate to our species, but it's getting religious people to understand and believe that that is the issue.

David Raphael

You have replied in too much haste. The point is not how to find a meeting point, the point is,how people having diametrecally opposite points of view should deal with each other. The link takes us to a very interesting story of how a strong atheist from India met Mahatma Gandhi, a staunch religionist and theist. I appeal to everyone who wants to reply to this post that he/she should do so after reading the very interesting story. There is NO preaching. I beleive that this will be very useful to all of us if we want to talk to theists. They too have something to benifit from this.

Also, there is no question of seeking a meeting point between atheism and religion. The choice is one or the other.  

MADHUKAR KULKARNI.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service