I remember telling my dad at 14 or so. I did not come from a religious family so he was a little bummed but not distraught or anything. This has helped me be free-spirited in all of my thoughts.

Views: 348

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

14, it happened during my Confirmation ceremony.  ah, God must work in mysterious ways :)

For real?  NICE!

OK, since about age 14 I stopped trying to believe.  I went through the catholic indoctrination, and was waiting for the "key".  That means, OK, you've given me all the information, now how about something that will make me believe it. 

Of course, that never happened.  I admitted to a few people about high school age that I didn't believe, but really kept mainly to myself.  I even married a strange style catholic from the Philippines.  She dragged me off to church once in a while, but then eventually gave up.  I have let go two relationships because of the religion thing as well. 

You can't convince a religious person any more than they could convince you.

I am alone now, but happy.  My best friend is Buddist though.  Sort of an even mix.  We love each other dearly, and understand our minor differences.

OK enough rant, but you started it.

Do buddhists accept evolution?

Don't know.  It never seemed important, but I think I'll bring it up.  We do discuss such things.

Like many other religions, there are differences in belief in Buddists.  I'll be interested in what Anna has to say. 

By the way, she is Vietnamese just for information.

Hey Andrea. Grew up mormon, but by 19 I'd had it. Still believed in god, but I became what I now know to be a diest. God started everything, but then stepped back and did not interfere directly. No miracles, didn't answer prayers, etc. Never went to any meetings, or identified with any religion after that, but studied baha'i, hinduism, buddhism, zorozstrianism, gnoticism, etc. Pretty much all over the map. I wasn't really looking for something to follow, but I was studying humanity. And religion seemed to inform me of the social, civic, and political mindset of people. Called myself agnostic by the time mid-thirties rolled around. By 2000, realized I was really more in tune with atheism. There really is no all powerful diety. And if their is, so what?  Even if he/she/it/they showed up, didn't care. Still don't care. Logical reason supported by emperical evidence. Only way to fly. So there you go. Hope this is what you were looking for. Peace.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

Latest Activity

Loren Miller replied to James M. Martin's discussion Neil DeGrasse Tyson on Why "Cosmos" Will NOT be Accompanied by Creationist Explanation for...well...the Cosmos
6 minutes ago
k.h. ky replied to Steph S.'s discussion How to be Tactful Responding With Diplomacy and Grace in the group Ethics and The Atheist
8 minutes ago
Sentient Biped replied to Steph S.'s discussion How to be Tactful Responding With Diplomacy and Grace in the group Ethics and The Atheist
10 minutes ago
Joan Denoo commented on Sentient Biped's group Food!
12 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to James M. Martin's discussion Neil DeGrasse Tyson on Why "Cosmos" Will NOT be Accompanied by Creationist Explanation for...well...the Cosmos
18 minutes ago
k.h. ky replied to Steph S.'s discussion How to be Tactful Responding With Diplomacy and Grace in the group Ethics and The Atheist
19 minutes ago
22 minutes ago
Dr. Allan H. Clark replied to Alan's discussion The reason why the United States has such a higher rate of religion compared to the UK
24 minutes ago
Dr. Allan H. Clark replied to Alan's discussion The reason why the United States has such a higher rate of religion compared to the UK
29 minutes ago
Joan Denoo commented on Sentient Biped's group Food!
30 minutes ago
Patricia commented on Sentient Biped's group Food!
34 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to Steph S.'s discussion How to be Tactful Responding With Diplomacy and Grace in the group Ethics and The Atheist
38 minutes ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service