I remember telling my dad at 14 or so. I did not come from a religious family so he was a little bummed but not distraught or anything. This has helped me be free-spirited in all of my thoughts.

Views: 348

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sorry to hear that.  Christians don't tolerate other viewpoints.  I've found that out the hard way.  I didn't even tell my sister -- she suspected (we used to be close) anyway -- she reacted like your brother did (just about) and I haven't spoken or heard from her in 6 years.

Well, coming from a Christian family is one thing, but being brought up with completely dysfunctional Christian views is completely different. Oh well, leave it to the Christians to find some way to keep the “fun” in Dysfunction.

This is absolutely ridiculous! I am so frustrated with your family so I can only imagine your feelings. This is one of those things where you did nothing wrong but it's not worth fighting over. We are your family.
I always liked science and never really was religious, save for christmas and easter being a good ol Catholic. About 12 years old was when I realized I was an atheist. That was back in 2006
I love seeing you young ones here! So glad time was not wasted for you, Corey.
Post? Write a book!
I cannot get enough reading to quench my thirst!
I think I was in high school still when my sister started questioning why I had so many doubts and questions about religion and god. >.> So probably 16/17. It was also when she was able to ask my friend about when I first started questioning, and he mentioned I'd been doing it at school for a while.
I hear the age 14 on a regulay basis.  It's obviously the age where hormones are well on the way to converting us into sometimes confused adults, but is really the beginning of our following our own direction.  I'll have to say I was about 14 as well.  Stayed somewhat in the closet while being married, but I consider myself a devout orthodox Atheist now. 
Neurologists say thoughts and emotions come from the frontal cortex which is the last to develop in life- late puberty. This is why kids can be brainwashed into things before they even have the mature brain to decide for themselves.

p.s don't quote me on the anatomy of the brain until you have researched for yourself. :)
I never was religious, but I would say that just around the time of my fourteenth birthday did I realize what exactly I was. I have only been an atheist for not even a year and I now realize how insane religion is.
Hallelujah!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service