How much do you care about the Separation of Church and State?

Please respond to this discussion answering the following questions with a yes or no:

Do you keep up with politics?

Do you believe in the Separation of Church and State?

Even though it is not specifically called out in the constitution, do you believe our Founding Fathers implied such a separation?

Do you believe that there are some politically powerful individuals who would love nothing more than to completely tear down that wall of separation that our Founding Fathers worked so diligently to build?

If you answered yes to any of the following questions... Do you actively participate in local meetups for any organization like the Secular Coalition of America, Americans United for the Separation of Church and State or the Freedom from Religion Foundation?

Now for additional feedback: If you answered no to the last question.. but answered yes to the others... I have to ask.. WHY NOT?

Why do you believe that there are not more individuals from our community attending their local meetups?

Here is my reason for doing asking such pointed questions.

Over the last few months I have participated in several local groups here in the Atlanta area including, the Atlanta Freethought Society, G.U.S.T., and the Americans United for the Separation of Church and State - Georgia Chapter.

Both AFS and AU-Ga had meet ups this past weekend. Considering there are 100's of people registered with AU from Ga... only about 20 people showed up for the meeting. AFS had Sean Faircloth (Executive Director of the Secular Coalition of America) in town to speak before its members. Maybe 60 people showed up. Not shabby.. but I would have expected a standing room only crowd.

It seems to me.. that we as a nation and especially our community... are not very motivated to protect that which we feel so strongly about.

I wrote about Sean Faircloths presentation at AFS today in my blog (WoodyBass.com), and yes I pointed out that those who support the Separation of Church and State must reach out to the faithful and educate them that the SOCS is as beneficial to them... as it is for us. It is not an atheist concept.

But if we as a Secular community are not organized, participating and supporting... how can we expect anything to change?

What is it going to take to get people organized, empowered and involved?

Views: 20

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

YES
YES
Even though it is not specifically called out in the constitution, do you believe our Founding Fathers implied such a separation?
YES

Do you believe that there are some politically powerful individuals who would love nothing more than to completely tear down that wall of separation that our Founding Fathers worked so diligently to build?

Apparently they run the gamut of rich to poor to simply stupid - influential or not.

If you answered yes to any of the following questions... Do you actively participate in local meetups for any organization like the Secular Coalition of America, Americans United for the Separation of Church and State or the Freedom from Religion Foundation?
NO

Now for additional feedback: If you answered no to the last question.. but answered yes to the others... I have to ask.. WHY NOT?
Time allocation demands, I guess. No excuse really

Why do you believe that there are not more individuals from our community attending their local meetups?
Can't answer. None in my area, I'm sure.

Over the last few months I have participated in several local groups here in the Atlanta area including, the Atlanta Freethought Society, G.U.S.T., and the Americans United for the Separation of Church and State - Georgia Chapter.

Both AFS and AU-Ga had meet ups this past weekend. Considering there are 100's of people registered with AU from Ga... only about 20 people showed up for the meeting. AFS had Sean Faircloth (Executive Director of the Secular Coalition of America) in town to speak before its members. Maybe 60 people showed up. Not shabby.. but I would have expected a standing room only crowd.

It seems to me.. that we as a nation and especially our community... are not very motivated to protect that which we feel so strongly about.
This has occurred to me

I wrote about Sean Faircloths presentation at AFS today in my blog (WoodyBass.com), and yes I pointed out that those who support the Separation of Church and State must reach out to the faithful and educate them that the SOCS is as beneficial to them... as it is for us. It is not an atheist concept.

But if we as a Secular community are not organized, participating and supporting... how can we expect anything to change?

Sites like these are a good start. But it is also going to take some dedicated and effective leadership. Sorry, that isn't me. I wish it was. I'd be there. But there are also roles for good organizers. People to find leaders and coordinate support for them. This is now possible in ways never before conceivable with the internet. Go for it.

Yes, moderately.

Yes.

Yes.

Do you believe that there are some politically powerful individuals who would love nothing more than to completely tear down that wall of separation that our Founding Fathers worked so diligently to build?\

Yes.

No.

Only so many hours in a day, and I'm burned out on activist groups.

Can't answer.

That's the $64,000 question, isn't it?When I was doing animal rescue and working on events, when I was going to green events and LGBT rallies the turn out was usually very small. Even when it was big, it was certainly not as big as it could have been. People are just apathetic and busy living their lives. But you'd get a bigger turn out if you offered free beer and pizza. That sounds flippant, but it isn't. It's the truth.
That's how we get the farmers out to attend field days at the research station.
Although looking at the food, I'm never short of flabbergasted that it still works...
Please respond to this discussion answering the following questions with a yes or no:

Do you keep up with politics?YES

Do you believe in the Separation of Church and State?YES

Even though it is not specifically called out in the constitution, do you believe our Founding Fathers implied such a separation?YES

Do you believe that there are some politically powerful individuals who would love nothing more than to completely tear down that wall of separation that our Founding Fathers worked so diligently to build?YES

I would but my mother doesn't know I feel this way.

Why do you believe that there are not more individuals from our community attending their local meetups?Because they are affraid.

No, unfortunately.

Do you believe in the seperation of church and state?
Yes.

Yes.

Yes...

If you answered yes to any of the following questions... Do you actively participate in local
meetups for any organization like the Secular Coalition of America, Americans United for the Separation of Church and State or the Freedom from Religion Foundation?

No.

I'm 16 and as far as I know, there isn't anyone my age interested where I live. I talk about it with a few of my friends, regularly, but nothing formal.

I didn't say I did D:/body>
YES.

YES.

YES.

YES.

NO.

BECAUSE.

BUSY LIVING LIFE.

CHANGE CAN COME FROM THE DISSEMINATION OF NEW AND BETTER IDEAS. MEETUPS DO NOT NECESSARILY SERVE THAT.

AT LEAST WE'RE HERE. THAT MUST BE A START.
Do you keep up with politics? Local (Puerto Rico) politics yes and U.S. as much as I can since it also affects us.

Do you believe in the Separation of Church and State? Yes, I think people blinded by faith or processes affected by religious doctrines can only affect negatively. Intolerance, violation of civil rights, etcetera.

Even though it is not specifically called out in the constitution, do you believe our Founding Fathers implied such a separation? I sure hope so. In our local Constitution it plainly states:

"Sección 3. Libertad de culto. (Section 3: Freedom of worship)

No se aprobará ley alguna relativa al establecimiento de cualquier religión ni se prohibirá el libre ejercicio del culto religioso. Habrá completa separación de la iglesia y el estado." No law will be approved that establishes one religion over another or that prohibits the manifestations of each religion. There will be COMPLETE separation of church and state.

Do you believe that there are some politically powerful individuals who would love nothing more than to completely tear down that wall of separation that our Founding Fathers worked so diligently to build?I think it's more than obvious there are, fundies are always working for new ways to change politics or social structures to accommodate their beliefs.

If you answered yes to any of the following questions... Do you actively participate in local meetups for any organization like the Secular Coalition of America, Americans United for the Separation of Church and State or the Freedom from Religion Foundation? I'd love to but here non-theism is relatively hushed up so (at least to my knowledge) there aren't many groups at all.:(

Why do you believe that there are not more individuals from our community attending their local meetups? Here, in a culture that was mostly catholic (practicing) for over 400 years and then add protestantism to the mix is very hard to break down indoctrination. People assume not believing in god means that you are a bad person and lead a bad way of life, blah blah. Many people I know doubt the existence of god but they just don't say it out loud.

Do you keep up with politics? Yes, though I do have to take breaks at times to avoid developing an anxiety disorder...

Do you believe in the Separation of Church and State? Absolutely.

Even though it is not specifically called out in the constitution, do you believe our Founding Fathers implied such a separation? Yes.

Belief implies lack of evidence. I KNOW there are politically powerful individuals trying to make the US into a theocracy (Read Kindgdom Coming by Michelle Goldberg, and The Jesus Machine)

No, though when I pay some bills down I will be contributing money to these organizations.

Well, lack of money for one, and for another, I live in the Bible Belt in a small town in which you can't throw a dead cat without hitting a church. I also work in same town and fear that if it was widely known that I was an atheist my employment and possibly more would be in danger.

Because there are probably about ten atheists in the entire county...

You are right. Non-believers should show a united front. But being a very small minority of the population, we will most likely be written off and ignored, at best.

I don't know...

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service