How many atheists do you personally know?  I'm not counting the ones you have met through this network.  I would say my number is at six.  My mother, my oldest son, three people at work and just found out that my family doctor was essentially one when we discussed my Reason Rally letter to the Toronto Star. I'm not sure about my daughter so I won't count her.

I would have a problem counting the number of religious people I know starting with my wife and my youngest son - Way too many.

Not everybody is going to be an atheist and join the Atheist Nexus which currently has
26656 members.  So inquiring minds want to know your number.  How many more more atheists are out there connected to our members who don't join these type of groups or conversely how alone are some of our members - is your number 0?

Views: 748

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not sure, but I probably know more atheists/agnostics than I know religious people.

Nice to hear from Norway.  That got me thinking of atheists by country and Wikipedia says in the U.S it is about 6 - 9 %.  Norway looks like 17 - 26% and my home country (Canada) might be at 23%.

It is tough to get accurate stats on this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_atheism

My three sons and their wives are all atheists and one of my cousins and his wife along with many of my former colleagues in universities and several other friends. I know quite a few atheists, probably due to my spending a lot of time in academic environments among scientists and because we used to have an active group here in San Diego.

Now that I am retired and starting to age a bit (77 last week) my friends and relatives are dropping off their twigs with increasing frequency and I lose contact with them for reasons not entirely clear.

personally? um, zero. I don't know anyone in the real world who is atheist. only online >_>

Six that I would consider outright atheists.  Two more who are a bit wishy washy right now but seem to be heading this way.

I live in a country (Philippines) that is filled with RABID catholics and being an atheist here is very difficult. In my life, I personally know just one atheist ( and maybe another one). I confessed to him that I am as well but after that we did not talked and was silent about it.

I am still a closet atheist. 

My cousin, 2 co-workers, and 10 others who are college buddies. I also live in the south

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service