How many atheists do you personally know?  I'm not counting the ones you have met through this network.  I would say my number is at six.  My mother, my oldest son, three people at work and just found out that my family doctor was essentially one when we discussed my Reason Rally letter to the Toronto Star. I'm not sure about my daughter so I won't count her.

I would have a problem counting the number of religious people I know starting with my wife and my youngest son - Way too many.

Not everybody is going to be an atheist and join the Atheist Nexus which currently has
26656 members.  So inquiring minds want to know your number.  How many more more atheists are out there connected to our members who don't join these type of groups or conversely how alone are some of our members - is your number 0?

Views: 749

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I know 9 people who I know for sure are atheists. This is not counting agnostics and free-thinking people that I haven't asked.

1 for me.  Life long skeptic - recent self actualization that I am atheist and I am getting more comfortable "being out" as an atheist.  Now, I expect to find others with similar views.  Or at least I hope so, it would be nice to have a personal conversation. 

Not a single one, they cling to fairy tales. Most of them are the type that they say they aren't religious, but really are. They're victims of their environments and will always ultimately run with the pack. But there is a survivability in this that makes perfect sense.

I'd have to say four or five.  I know a few more who don't quite have the courage of their convictions to call themselves Atheist  For the most part those people are hedging their bets just in case...  I think the reason there are so few professed Atheist is Atheism takes a level of emotional maturity most people lack.  If you think about it, children who are afraid of the dark or lonely invent an imaginary friend.  Adults who are afraid of death or not having some divine entity "have their back" at times of crisis scares them.  Therefore, they adopt some imaginary friend from one mythology or another.  Atheists don't do that.  We have the emotional maturity to face reality without needing an imaginary friend.  Most people you meet just can't handle that.      

It's a sad, sad situation!  I personally know one agnostic and 0 atheists.  I'm surrounded by so-called Christians and I just make the best of it.  I can't get into a discussion with the ones I'm closest to as it makes them "uncomfortable".  They have no ammunition, just blind, ignorant faith.  Very frustrating.

Hard to say... My family (both sides) is non-religious, but I know many of them (such as my father) do believe in a higher power, but do not subscribe to any specific religious sect. It's not something we generally discuss, but they do know my views on the subject. I have two close friends that are Atheists, but that's about it.

I personally know three Atheists besides myself. A friend of mine, her 17 year old daughter, and finally her daughters boyfriend. So not many. :O/

Katalyzt

Four... all ex-girlfriends. Atheist and sexy must go hand in hand!

None, most people around me are Moslims, some Buddhists/Hindus and a few Christians.

my friends father

I actually thought hardly anyone until I started asking people.  Once I was confident enough to bring it up i was surprised how many people are skeptical these days.

I am Happy To announce That I met another Agnostic today whose spouse is an Atheist!!!

We are in training for a new job and Dawkins and Bill Maher broke the ice and I was finally able to tell someone I was an Atheist with out immediate repercussions.

Today Was A Great Day!

Hoping she was the first of many to find at my new job...

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

jay H replied to Just a Voice's discussion Is consciousness nothing more than a veneer of our biological underpinnings?
2 minutes ago
Bertold Brautigan replied to Ruth Anthony-Gardner's discussion In Liberia Christian Churches blame gays for Ebola in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
10 minutes ago
Michael Penn commented on Joan Denoo's blog post According to the Bible, God drowns, kills, slaughters, genocides, stones, burns, mauls, rapes, crushes, ....
13 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to Deidre's discussion Dogmatic atheism?
16 minutes ago
Michael Penn replied to Bertold Brautigan's discussion And Now, for Something Totally New in Televangelism - Televangelist pastor accused of forcing vasectomies and abortions on church members
19 minutes ago
Deidre replied to Deidre's discussion Dogmatic atheism?
21 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to chares martel's discussion Would you rather America won the Vietnam War?
23 minutes ago
Sentient Biped replied to Ruth Anthony-Gardner's discussion In Liberia Christian Churches blame gays for Ebola in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
28 minutes ago
Michael Penn replied to chares martel's discussion The benefits of flushing Religion
32 minutes ago
Grinning Cat liked John Jubinsky's discussion Elephants Can Detect Rain 150 Miles Away
32 minutes ago
Grinning Cat replied to Ruth Anthony-Gardner's discussion In Liberia Christian Churches blame gays for Ebola in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
33 minutes ago
Grinning Cat commented on Warren Jappe's photo
40 minutes ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service