There are many ways to abuse people. I would like to see how many ways we atheists feel we have been abused by the religious people. If anything, we can use these stories to show what theists do to those who disagree with them.

Tags: abuse, atheists

Views: 547

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, aside from being groomed by a priest for molestation, being told from a young age that I was going to hell, being treated to corporal punishment, (spare the rod and spoil the child)

NOT being believed when I explained the priests behaviour, 

the more commonly occurring things are a subtle shunning, 

being excluded, missing out on business opportunities.

Owning a bookstore that sold metaphysical books, and provided pagan related items (none of which I believe either, incidentally) quantum science books, etc, we would find religious propaganda stuffed in the books.

We were often threatened. Sent letters warning us to repent. 

Then the actual terrorism started. Several attempts to burn the store down. Threats on my wifes life. 

I have been banned from forums for questioning the validity of christian claims. 

The religious always will use violence when pressed to defend their indefensible nonsense. 

That is  bloody awful, but the problem is that xtians believe in a death cult.And that suffering and persecution is an integral part of this cult.They start from a basic premise that they are already persecuted because of their beliefs and that the existence of atheists simply affirms their perception that society is set against them.

Thus they can pass off any legitimate questioning of their belief system as yet more evidence of the persecution that they believe exists outside of their community.Threrefore, they set impossible standards of behaviour for those that do not believe, which usually amounts to "how dare you question my faith".They then "kick out" accordingly at anyone that questions them.They have, in effect, created a niche for themselves in which xtianity is deserving of (unearned ) deference and respect simply because they believe it to be true.

Thus, they would claim that you are guilty of persecuting them because your existence questions belief in their god in the society that already persecutes them because of that belief. And on and on we go, around and around in great big bloody circles with a very unhealthy emphasis in confirmation bias thrown into the ring as it were.

I can't think of a whole lot of specific events; I've led a pretty good life and was raised by caring, understanding, and fairly open-minded parents who never pressured me into (or out of) any religion. One particular incident stands out, though...

My grandmother was a Catholic. She wasn't very observant, but she went to church (until she was no longer able to) and, upon her death in 2006, received a Catholic funeral as was her desire. Neither my father, nor my mother, nor my sister, nor myself, are or were Catholics. For those who may not be aware, many Catholic churches, including this one, have a special section they reserve for non-Catholics during services... which leads me to the bit that really puts a burr up my sphincter: we, the decedent's son, daughter-in-law, and grandchildren, whom she loved and who loved her and cared for her in her final years, got to sit in the special 'you're not a Catholic' seats. We were not verbally insulted in any way, nor were we ignored in the priest's eulogy (much of which had nothing to do with her actual life), but the fact remains that because I was not a Catholic I was subject to segregation at my own grandmother's funeral. It still pisses me off.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

Luara replied to Daniel W's discussion Are same sex marriages more stable than so-called traditional marriages? in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
2 minutes ago
sk8eycat replied to Joan Denoo's discussion The Bible is not Great by Soren Sagan in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
5 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina on "Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative" in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
8 minutes ago
Tom Sarbeck commented on Loren Miller's blog post Is god good?
27 minutes ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to jay H's discussion What the freakin hell is wrong with this country???
59 minutes ago
Jason Blair replied to Daniel W's discussion Are same sex marriages more stable than so-called traditional marriages? in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
1 hour ago
Jason Blair replied to Daniel W's discussion Are same sex marriages more stable than so-called traditional marriages? in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
1 hour ago
1 hour ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina on "Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative" in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
1 hour ago
Patricia replied to Joan Denoo's discussion The Bible is not Great by Soren Sagan in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
1 hour ago
Joan Denoo replied to Joan Denoo's discussion The Bible is not Great by Soren Sagan in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
1 hour ago
David Seidman replied to Carrot Hare's discussion Atheists around the world! ASSEMBLE!
1 hour ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service