Do you think of atheism simply as a word that defines a lack of belief in god???

Or is it much more to you?... A (movement) dedicated to stopping ignorance, oppression and bigotry by theists???

Tags: atheism, bigotry, discussion, ignorance, oppression

Views: 52

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nicely explained, Don. I do think, without taking anything away from atheism, that metaphysical naturalism is more satisfying as a worldview- more positive, more useful. It's an attempt to examine the reasons for and consequences of human behavior with honesty and compassion. The atheism of some seems to be solely concerned with vanquishing theism. Perhaps I'm confusing atheism with antitheism.
Labels are both highly useful and utterly meaningless. ;)

Thanks for your thoughts, Don.
Atheism cause and Atheism are two totally different things for me.

I'm not really in the movement, (Mostly because I'm fairly antisocial). I'm more of the type that wants people to think individually for themselves. If you are an atheist because I'm an atheist, you are being a follower. But if you are a theist and to you in your own mind came to that conclusion, I'll respect that better than being a follower.

I like calling myself an atheist. To me the world makes more sense w/o a fake deity and fake rules and fake meanings.
I reject the implication that wanting to be part of a cause larger than oneself makes one a follower. People can think independently even if they are part of a group.
Oh, no, I apologize, but I wasn't saying that at all. Being part of a cause does not make you a follower, whatsoever. I'm saying my point of view about people in general, they don't have to be a part of church or a cause to be a follower. Some people follow their parent's set of views, their friend's POV, a clergymen, without taking time to think for themselves.
Thanks for the clarification, Jennifer.
Hello everybody! I find this a fascinating question. It is because of discussions like these that I describe myself as a Humanist, rather than as an "atheist". The important thing for me is that atheism (whether it is a "thing" or not) does not commit you to any particular way of living or viewing the world. Strictly, it doesn't even commit you to a non-supernaturally-saturated world-view, necessarily - I have met plenty of New-Age atheists.

I prefer to describe my belief system in a way which actually articulates something about what I do believe in terms of how people should act and relate to each other - hence Humanism (sometimes with the prefix "Secular").
I agree, James--atheism itself is rather anemic as a world view. I prefer the term "Secular Humanism," as it indicates, at least in a general way, what one does believe in; "atheism" merely indicates a lack of belief in theism.
(I just needed to tidy up a glitch in the second paragraph. This post belongs right before Don's instead of right after it.)

Perhaps "absence" is a more suitable term than "lack"; "absence" is indeed a more neutral word. My discomfort with the word "atheism" has something to do with its rhetorical cargo: in English and French, at least, the term began its life as an insult, and, regrettably, it still carries that connotation in some circles. Of course, plenty of other terms started their lives as insults, and in many instances the "labeled" managed, nevertheless, to redefine the words for their own purposes or to give them a more positive valence: leveller, whig, tory, fauvist, consequentialist, and so forth.

Yet while the term "atheism" does some useful lexical work, I would contend that the word is itself deficient in many contexts, as it is defined as the absence of something else. That something else, theism, is still setting the terms of the debate, both philosophically and rhetorically. Thus, I prefer the term "humanist" to the term "atheist" for the same reason that I prefer being "healthy" to being "asymptomatic": as "healthy" denotes a state that goes beyond the mere absence of symptoms, so "humanist" moves beyond "theism" rather than merely negating it.
I view my atheism as more than it's definition. I view it as being an activist for our rights as non-believers - in mattters of church state separation. I view it as showing atheists as positive people who are regular humans, just trying to live our lives as happy as joyous as possible. I am always an Athiest, out and proud - the more people know us the less the stigma will continue.

Although I suppose my worldview would be better defined as humanist, I never use that word as many people have no idea what it means.
MG, I think atheism is not a statement at all. Instead, it's a word that refers to...

Don, you've made this point several times in this discussion, and you're etymologically right, but you sure can understand that, to many people, there's more in this word than its etymology. Why would all these people join Atheist Nexus if it wasn't the case?
To me, atheism is the word it is. It has nothing to do with citizenship (thank "Bob")! What I choose to follow or lead with as my worldview is my choice entirely, thanks to my atheism, which allows me to have a mind free of misconceptions about the way the universe workds.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

The Devian replied to Rick Springfield's discussion Scientific Adam and Eve in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
6 minutes ago
Grinning Cat added a discussion to the group Health & Fitness
16 minutes ago
Grinning Cat replied to Ruth Anthony-Gardner's discussion Ebola contagion through air in the group Health & Fitness
37 minutes ago
L. Alcorn replied to L. Alcorn's discussion Early Christianity
1 hour ago
Patricia replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Don't leave your keys on your desk: company copies keys from photos for $6 in the group Hang With Friends
1 hour ago
Loren Miller replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Don't leave your keys on your desk: company copies keys from photos for $6 in the group Hang With Friends
1 hour ago
Steve replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Don't leave your keys on your desk: company copies keys from photos for $6 in the group Hang With Friends
1 hour ago
The Devian replied to scott martins's discussion IS EVERYBODY 100% POSITIVE THERE IS NO GOD?
1 hour ago
Loren Miller replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Don't leave your keys on your desk: company copies keys from photos for $6 in the group Hang With Friends
1 hour ago
Future replied to MattyLJ's discussion Ever had a family member die
1 hour ago
Michael Penn replied to Freethinker31's discussion Family Values
1 hour ago
Patricia replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Don't leave your keys on your desk: company copies keys from photos for $6 in the group Hang With Friends
1 hour ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service