To the people who are advocating "taking back Christmas" by saying "Merry Christmas" instead of the more "PC" Happy Holidays? With the subtext of "Keep Christ in Christmas"?

Personally, I don't like being told Merry Christmas, because I don't celebrate it, and don't wish to celebrate it. And I have a hard time responding. Could I say, "No, thanks"? Or "A Happy Diwali to you, too"? Or should I go with "Bah, humbug"? (Only in my grumpier moments).

I am SO tired of the so-called Christians who feel so persecuted that they need to impose THEIR beliefs and culture on those of us who want no part of it. And I'm tired of being polite.

Views: 941

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I seem to remember some pastor wanting people to say Happy versus Merry Christmas, because apparently 'merry' implies copious amounts of boozing and/or partying.

So, if someone wishes you a Merry Christmas, feel free to say, "I'll do well on the merry part. You can keep the Christmas."

I heard my family complaining about the Happy Holidays "take over" last year. These are good people, but are so typically herded by their churches and Fox News. It's sad to know... and it's sad to see it being passed along to the younger generation. :-(

I actually went through the same thing the other day on Facebook, because Im tired of everyone I know saying that they are cool with me being an Atheist, but turning around and posting that closed minded bat-shittery on their profiles, I will include all my posts and responses:

What does this post REALLY say to you?? I will post my response to it as well.

WHAT A CROCK OF SHIT..... We can't say Merry Christmas now we have to say Happy Holidays. We can't call it a Christmas tree, it's now called a Holiday tree? Because it might offend someone. If you don't ike our "Customs" and it offends you so much then LEAVE I will help you pack. They are called customs and we have our traditions If you... agree with this...please post this as your status!! I AM A PROUD AMERICAN CITIZEN... MERRY CHRISTMAS Do you have what it takes to repost this??..

I myself actually prefer to not wish a happy holiday of any sort, I just like to pretend its just another day in my own little world. I hate what the holidays brings out in most people, and I think its sad that they dont see the way it affects them. Its sad really.

Christmas time is when most Christians are most intolerant of other religions, and Atheists. They want to be good people in the eyes of their "God", theyre going about it the wrong way in my openion.

Then I posted:

My friends and Family, as the Holidays get closer, no matter what or how you celebrate, please dont be one of those closed minded biggots, who say "If you dont like it, get out of our country", It is NOT yours! Its ours, to share, all people, all racis, religions, and lack there of. "Love thy neighbor" or you can leave the country. Its out of respect for other people, and out of respect for you, ......that people say "Happy Holidays" Because what if the person checking you out at Walmart is a Jew? Or musslim? You really want to be that person to be so cruel to them to try to FORCE your beliefs on them?? Is that how this nation should work?? Im tired of people fighting over whos God is better, whos religion is more superrier, and of every one who claims to be accepting, when in fact, your a hippocrate and a fake. Who is grown up enough to say, I respect you as a person, as a human life, and not force my deity down your throaght? I bet a bunch of my "friends" wont agree with this. Keep "Christ in your Christmas", but please dont shove him in my face anymore

I truely am sick of them people thinking its all about their god. That they are right, and everyone else needs to pack and leave this country. For all I care, and excuse my language and intollerence, but they can Fuck off. Im done being tolerent and accepting of them when they cant show others the same courtasey.

Well said Tabi.  I couldn't have said it better myself!

What really bugs me is when they come across with the attitude of if you don't want to say Merry Christmas or celebrate Christmas, you should pack up and leave. As if this was THEIR country and not yours. But it also bugs me when they say it's a secular holiday, and why am I getting bothered  by it. It's NOT a secular holiday. Thanksgiving is (because you don't need a god in order to be grateful for what you have) and the 4th of July is a secular holiday, but Christmas isn't. Even if it's derived from Saturnalia, it's still Christmas. I guess, if I could take the Christ OUT of Christmas, it might be OK, but even the name bothers me (I guess I'm oversensitive). I think I'd like to celebrate Festivus!

*eyeroll*...it's that time of year again, the time where people all get their panties in a bunch about which words they use.

I don't think it's a big deal if someone wants to say "Merry Christmas" to me. People usually mean well and I don't like to get mad at people about things that someone will yell at them about either way (there are a lot of those). Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, or saying nothing at all...whatever.

But it's just so silly to think that Christmas is somehow threatened if it's not the ONLY holiday that's ever mentioned! And that's how some people act; if Christianity is not the ONLY religion in the country and given preferential treatment, it's discrimination.

For one thing, wasn't Chanukkah around before Christmas? And "keep Christ in Christmas"? Christ wasn't originally in Christmas; he was inserted later. If someone else wants to do Christmas that way, fine, but I'm going to stick to the original plan of trying to cheer up during the darkest days of the year.

I am in the advertising business. It's simply more cost effective for a retailer to market with the term "Happy Holidays" than with "Merry Christmas." "Happy Holidays" covers more days, more holidays, doesn't exclude any potential customer, etc. "Merry Christmas" in advertising is a divisive, and becomes obsolete on Dec 25. I've designed ads for many clients that say "Happy Holidays," and I never heard any negative feedback.

If someone wishes me a "Merry Christmas," I respond with "Thanks, but I have other plans."

I have had Festivus parties the last two years, so I may start responding with a loud and proud "Festivus!"

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service