How do you respond to: "Are you against religion?", "Are you against Christmas?"

I was asked by an Xtian if I decorated for Christmas.

When I answered "NO" - I got the questions I have heard before.

"Are you against Religion? Are you against Christmas."

(Religion is bad - so yes I am against religion)

Any of you here get these same questions? 

How do you handle them?

Views: 2248

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Axial tilt is the reason for the season.

If I were anti-Christmas or anti-religion, I would be throwing water across my sidewalks (which approach the church) to turn them into ice rinks, rather than shovel them.

But gift giving? I have no trouble with gift giving, nor sending holiday cards. I like giving gifts; my family has a tradition of giving "Thursday gifts" or "Wednesday gifts" or any other day in the calendar, just for the heck of it.

(In the matter of holiday cards, our town is so isolated that the tradition of sending cards is a good way to keep up with those we care about, and there are plenty enough secular cards.)

Xmas prejudice is toughest when it comes from family and friends. 

What started out as a group of people with email making jokes of my wife and I posing with Santa in a photo degenerated into this conversation.

Coach:

Do atheist celebrate christmas? I'm not Jewish, so I don't celebrate Hanukkah

Me:
Christmas actually predated Christianity by about 2,000 years. - (I provide proof)

Coach:

I must of touched a nerve

Wow, so much knowledge for someone who does not believe.
Call it something else, because Christmas, is Christ Mass and is a Christian holiday,
according to all dictionaries.

Me:

You didn't hit a nerve ?????.  I just like a good debate. Joyce and Kevin are devout Christians.

Here is something interesting:

Researchers from the independent Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life phoned more than 3,400 Americans and asked them 32 questions about the Bible, Christianity and other world religions,
famous religious figures and the constitutional principles governing religion in public life.
On average, people who took the survey answered half the questions incorrectly, and many flubbed even questions about their own faith.

Those who scored the highest were atheists and agnostics, as well as two religious minorities: Jews and Mormons.

The results were the same even after the researchers controlled for factors like >age and racial differences.

Coach:

Not interested in your rubbish. (He then went on to denigrate my liberal political choices and imply I did not have common sense.

End Result

The good thing was two people jumped in and spoke up for tolerance.  One was upset by Coach's comments and one thought maybe Coach was just trying to get a rise out of me.   

The comments did bother me a bit because it wasn't a civil conversation.

Agreed Russell - I do have to put up wiht Xmas prejudice from family and friends - and that is tough.

Thanks for writing about what you went through with the prejudice from others.

I am glad you didn't let Coach get a rise out of you. Often, that is what their plan is.

Christmas (and the tree) have nothing to do with religion in my mind. How could it possibly be the birthday of Jesus? Where does it say to celibrate this "birthday" that gets inserted into Santa and toys for kids, etc? By the time I get through with people that ask me about "Christmas at my house" I tell them that they might as well add the Easter Bunny too. Then they tell me that I should at least have a tree to "celibrate the season." What season are they talking about? What do they really mean? The religious ones tell me that "the wise men brought gifts" and the others try to out-do each other in making their homes look like lighted runways for aircraft. I simply tell them all that I don't need that. I'm not a kid anymore.

Dennis, I like that answer: "I'm not a kid anymore."  Even though I'm still young at heart in many ways.

I also like what Dennis said about "I'm not a kid anymore".

I agree.

I actually had to explain to my brother this past xmas that my lack of visits were due to a difference of beliefs. He didn't pursue the matter--as I knew he wouldn't. I simply told him our beliefs didn't mesh with the remainder of the family. I have been asked how I could drop a moral belief system for an immoral one by my sister and quickly rattled off to her the reasons why I was more moral than her and why. She didn't like it, but...oh well! There was no 'arguing' to it. My family is under the impression that I disrespect our mother for turning away from religion. Period. If asked if I'm against religion, I say 'Yes!' Although, I could care less if someone practices the ritual of Christmas. If it makes them feel better, go for it. It makes me feel better to practice xmas--taxmas that is!

Bets I do think Xtians don't have more morals than us - but they think they do.

Penn Jillette has a wonderful quote - I will post it here.

Steph, an excellent statement from Penn.

I love that quote! I just made a discussion on the quote and an an interview I really enjoyed reading.

ummmm...yes. and by that I mean yes to both.

Nobody has ever asked me "Are you against religion?" before, but my mother has asked me why I am against religion and I said because it creates tons of problems. Religion was made to control, it is a lie, it is condescending, it is viral, it is riddled with moral inconsistencies, it justifies racism, it justifies discrimination, it justifies sexism, it justifies intolerance, it justifies slavery, it justifies child abuse, it justifies rape, it justifies murder, it devalues reason, it devalues truth, it devalues humanity, it uses circular logic, it contradicts scientifically proven facts, it restricts free thought, it restricts freedom of choice, it restricts scientific progress, it restricts medical progress, it restricts social progress, it represses sexuality, it restricts sexual freedom, it restricts safe sex, it restricts contraceptive use, it promotes non-consensual genital mutilation, it encourages complacency, it encourages false information, it encourages ignorance, it teaches to be submissive, it teaches behaviour through authority by means of reward and punishment, it steals time, it steals money, it steals energy, it steals resources, it steals knowledge, it steals lives, it defines human nature, it creates psychological problems, it creates resent, it creates shame, it creates guilt, it creates fear, it creates stress, it creates irreconcilable divisions, it creates violence, it creates terrorism, it creates wars, it creates hate, it destroys relationships, it destroys families, it destroys communities, it destroys countries, and it does not adapt.

Religion is one of the top things I hate most. As I like to say, religion is Earth's cancer that needs to be cut out.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service