How do you respond to: "Are you against religion?", "Are you against Christmas?"

I was asked by an Xtian if I decorated for Christmas.

When I answered "NO" - I got the questions I have heard before.

"Are you against Religion? Are you against Christmas."

(Religion is bad - so yes I am against religion)

Any of you here get these same questions? 

How do you handle them?

Views: 2302

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You're spot on!  Stress is now closer to excitement since I don't experience it very often.  I use to think that getting older and closer to death was the worse thing in the world.  I still don't care that much for the closer to death thing.  However, I'll take it any day in exchange for the ability to tell people to buzz off, and make it stick.  

Everyone in the county knows my wife and I are atheists. We don't get that sort of question.

On the other hand, our former neighbour (and So. Baptist) that just moved from across the street can't seem to get the word "atheist" through her head, and conflates it with "confused."

Actually, it is she that is confused, though she is a nice lady otherwise.

I had a baptist neighbor, and he'd yell at me from across a field, because I'd mow my grass on a Sunday. He didn't ask me if i went to church; he asked me what church i went to:) 

How do you handle them?  Go along with it just to be convivial.  But during the prayers, I always sneak a look at the others; sure 'nuff, some smile back, as if they have their doubts.

That is the only reason I kind of look forward to group prayers.  I don't bow my head and I look around for who else is looking around.  You'd be surprised.

That's great James, I haven't been able to catch anyone's eye during a prayer yet. I'll keep trying. :)

Ha ha! I like that. :)

Yeah, what is the "reason for the season" supposed to be anyway? I don't get it. Jesus I 'spose, right?

Actually that would make a great Xmas-time atheist billboard. It would really piss people off.

That reminds me I recently watched a Rebecca Watson video on Youtube called "How to ruin Christmas," and she towards the end plays a preview for a horrible straight-to-DVD movie where a town is fighting over keeping Christ in Xmas and they get mad because someone replaces a banner in town that said "Merry Christmas" with one that said "Season's Greetings."  OMG that is soooo offensive! The movie looks hilariously bad.

I hate when friends get annoyed with me for saying "Happy Holidays" to store clerks when I'm actually out shopping during Xmas (something I loathe). I absolutely refuse to say "Merry Christmas." Even if there is a very big group of secular Christmas celebraters, I just like to assert that it's not universally celebrated!!!

Steph, my favorite Winter Solstice greeting! I'm reposting to family. Thanks for posting. 

No one seems to question that I don't decorate for Christmas anymore.  Apparently many do not because it is so much trouble and overdone.  I prefer the Happy Holidays because America is a melting pot with many different religions.  Businesses cannot afford to show less respect for one over another and everyone knows this.

Oh I agree Lillie. I just don't have the time to decorate the house for xmas. Plus I feel no real need to. 

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service