How do you respond to: "Are you against religion?", "Are you against Christmas?"

I was asked by an Xtian if I decorated for Christmas.

When I answered "NO" - I got the questions I have heard before.

"Are you against Religion? Are you against Christmas."

(Religion is bad - so yes I am against religion)

Any of you here get these same questions? 

How do you handle them?

Views: 2300

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Happy Holidays..................

Thank you VikingDon. You too. 

I just love the Addams Family - thank you Napoleon. 

nice

Sounds like the xtian was looking for conflict, 'cause who really gives a tinker's damn whether you decorate or not?

My personal beef is that I hate taking down decorations, so not decorating is a pre-emptive strike.

Pretend that you are 4 years old and ask "why?" "why?" "Why?"
They will get tired of answering just like your Mom did.

Actually what say is that I am a Skeptic.

My whole family is atheist. My atheist son and his atheist wife decorate the yard with lots of Christmas stuff, lights, snowmen, santas. DIL was complaining about how much work it is and grandson, 7 years old at the time said, "don't worry mom. I will invent holographic Christmas decorations. It will be easier."

That would be funny Diane - to see the look on their face while I continually ask "Why"?

Sounds like the xtian was looking for conflict, 'cause who really gives a tinker's damn whether you decorate or not?

Totally. My husband and I are too busy to decorate and don't really care too much about it. But we enjoy a little secular festivity with family and may decorate in the future - but really - who cares?!

The way they ask it is like an ambush:) Raised volume, big eyes. I really don't know how i'd respond to that, because i'd probably realize that my words would be wasted. 

Well, I am against greed and consumerism, and regardless of any "true meaning" or "reason for the season", I have to say that the modern Christmas rituals are pretty off-putting for me!

I can't say that I am against religion.  I feel that religion is only a symptom of intellectual laziness and wishful thinking.  I still suffer my share of this shortcoming.  I am against what religion represents.  I use to dread the holidays.  I have fixed that problem by alienating much of my family.  I think I might actually like the holidays now.

I bet your holidays have a lot less stress now Michael. 

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service