How do you respond to: "Are you against religion?", "Are you against Christmas?"

I was asked by an Xtian if I decorated for Christmas.

When I answered "NO" - I got the questions I have heard before.

"Are you against Religion? Are you against Christmas."

(Religion is bad - so yes I am against religion)

Any of you here get these same questions? 

How do you handle them?

Views: 2278

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That was a good remark, Humble Pie. I was trained for the ministry and it's this very knowledge that has today put me on the path of Atheism. I doubt that many of them will understand it, but my thinking did a complete reversal sometime in 2012 almost unknown to me. I woke up one day to the realization that I'm an Atheist. If there is a God at all, it's most certainly NOT the God of the Judaeo Christian Bible. It makes no sense. There is no "reason" here. This one "book" is a fabrication of stories. Many "little books" illicitly sewn together as one to end up making the "Frankenstein" of human guidebooks. To study and take this journey, ending up at this conclusion, is nothing more than evolution itself.

Gr8 remark Dennis, hope you don't mind if I borrow it for one of my posts on

http://www2b.abc.net.au/tmb/Client/TopicList.aspx?b=87&dm=1

As I've been arguing there as goiday_myd, that the Bible is an excellent tool for producing atheists in this age of information.  There is so much knowledge available today for anybody like yourself with an open mind, that much of the Bible appears so ludicrous and entirely irrational, that it drives the reader to criticizing it rather than believing it.  Eventually producing another atheist.

So I've been collecting evidence of comments from people that have studied the Bible for the purpose of joining the ministry, but, instead became an unbeliever (agnostic or atheist).

I think this is part of the reason Richard Dawkins would like Bibles in all school libraries, so the students can see that when we state it is a ridiculous collection of stupid, naive books, we are not telling fibs.  BTW, I didn't use yr full name as the source, just DP.

If you visit that site: ABC Compass, religion series forum and think you have something to contribute, you are by all means welcome.  We would appreciate input from somebody different.  Lately there has been only a handful of people posting, since the many that left couldn't handle my blunt, rational criticism of their beliefs.

Aye M8!   :-D

You are right G'Day - read the bible critically and become Atheist.

Dennis, I love how you describe the buybull as the Frankenstein of human guidebooks!  How apt! ~ Melinda

Me too Melinda - the bible is the "Frankenstein of human guidebooks" - just love that phrase.

Thanks Dennis.  I took my parochial education very seriously, and absorbed everything they taught me.  Which was why I was prepared to reject it when the time came.

Thank you for your response Humble Pie.

Well: Against Religion: Yes, we have cognitively evolved past religion, we are into our new evolved state of wisdom and information.  Religion is a relic or fossil of our past, it's a boil on the butt of humanity and needs removing.

Against Christmas: No, it's mostly about consumerism.  It's just "Children's Day" alternative to of having "Mothers Day" and "Fathers Day".  Which is better than having "Son's Day" and "Daughter's Day", which could be embarrassing or confusing if your child was trans-gender or preferred to be gender neutral.

Though the other celebrations mentioned would be confusing in same sex partnerships as well.

My question is why don't we get days off for Mother's and Father's day to celebrate.  Though children are more important, and I'll accept holidays for any reason, don't care.

I think I'll have a holiday for not caring.  "Carefree Day"   :-D~

Thank you very much - I will think about responding this way when I get that question again.

I agree, we are evolving into a new age, one that honors reason and rational thinking while eschewing myths inherited from the Stone Age, written in the Bronze Age, colonized others in the Machine Age, and exploited producers of goods and services in the InformationAge. I don't know what this new Age will be called, but it is a definite evolution.  

Human Evolution Timeline Interactive

Urbanism       

Rapid Increase in Brain Size 

Control of fire 

Dawn of Technology 

Mostly Bipedal 

Becoming bipedal 

Notice the cooling trend, and now the warming trend. Climate fluctuated over the 8 million years of human evolution. 

Joan thank you for the evolution timeline. I hope we enter an age of rational thinking.

Actually we could consider religion as a Transitional Fossil, between the "Complete Naivety" era and the "Highly Knowledgeable" era.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service