How do you respond to: "Are you against religion?", "Are you against Christmas?"

I was asked by an Xtian if I decorated for Christmas.

When I answered "NO" - I got the questions I have heard before.

"Are you against Religion? Are you against Christmas."

(Religion is bad - so yes I am against religion)

Any of you here get these same questions? 

How do you handle them?

Views: 2669

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How about this:

• I am against irrationality
  • Most religions are irrational
  • Therefore, I am against those religions which are irrational.

Clear enough?

Hehehe... love it!!!

If A = B, and B = C, then by the law of transitivity, A = C.

You forgot to quantify your statement by including, "for all A, B, and C in the domain of the relation." Otherwise, your logic makes no sense.

If A = I am against irrational religions,

and B = I like to participate with the great-grandkids in decorating a tree during the winter season. 

then A ≠ C 

We also burn a Yule Log, have marshmallows and s'mores at the fire, with hot cider to warm up afterwards. The children get gifts from under the tree but there is no Santa Clause ... except the four-year-old may believe so. The others do not. 

Well ... we'd burn a Yule log ... if we had a fireplace! [minor detail there!]

My wife and I absolutely celebrate Christmas or Yule or Saturnalia or whatever you want to call it and we enjoy it a lot.  At the same time, there's no talk of Jesus or a manger or shepherds or wise men or any other such noise, though I will admit to cuing up Handel's Messiah yesterday evening and listening to a good portion of it (what's wrong with good music?).

Lots of presents under the tree, too ... and not one of 'em says, "From Santa."

If everyone  did as you, it would truly be  an all inclusive  holiday....Maybe  one day, it will happen...

Most religions are irrational.

Most?

Loren, whatever happened two years ago, I'm glad you recovered.

Thank you Loren - good response.
Religions are irrational and pure nonsense.
And I am against irrationality.

Im ok with irrationality. I dislike religion because it causes harm. Stop hurting the orld and you can go be as irrational as you want

I'm with you on that Milo.

While I haven't gotten this question, I suppose the older I get, the more crotchety I get. My probable response would be something along these lines.

"What is this? One of those, 'Yer either fer us, or a'gin us?' asinine positions? How utterly stupid is that! Jews don't decorate for or celebrate Christmas, yet they're religious. Are you an anti-semite who hates Jews? Hindus, Muslims, Baha'is, Buddhists and others don't 'do' Christmas. Do you hate all those people also? Come to think of it, based on the idiocy of that question, you probably do. Here's a hint. You know your god's made up when he hates all the same people you do. Now, go back and join the great unwashed mob that is storming the gates of Wal-Mart for super-saver bargains, quit asking stupid questions, and get the hell out my face."

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service