How do you respond to: "Are you against religion?", "Are you against Christmas?"

I was asked by an Xtian if I decorated for Christmas.

When I answered "NO" - I got the questions I have heard before.

"Are you against Religion? Are you against Christmas."

(Religion is bad - so yes I am against religion)

Any of you here get these same questions? 

How do you handle them?

Views: 2304

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for that!  Yes, I've heard the Pascal's Sucker Bet before and one relation actually tried it on me years ago when she wanted me to join her in a "Bible study".  I told her then that if I only believed because I was afraid of what would happen to me if I didn't, I didn't really believe.  I also said that if there was a god he'd rather have me be a good person than worry about whether I believed in him or not.  I asked her that if I lead a good life but didn't believe was that sending me to hell while the person who was a murderer, thief, etc. but believed, could be "saved".  She assured me that god is forgiving and if the murderer asked to be saved, he would be.  I don't think that there is any rational argument that would make sense to these people as they believe this stuff, not because it makes sense, but because they want to believe it.  Must be that way. 

By the way, my grandson still believes in Santa.  I know we've made a big mistake there but at least someday he will understand why we initiated him into that fallacy, Santa is fun and love and just wants you to be good.  God, on the other hand, demands your financial support of his people and your willingness to not accept others and sometimes kill on his behalf. 

Thank you Grinning Cat for the link to Pascal's Bet.

Ceil I don't understand how they can believe those fantasies either. Happy Holidays to you too.

That you Steph.  It's so nice to have a place where there are people with open minds.  I don't mean to look down on others, however, I can't help but feel that they must be just plain stupid to believe in that stuff...

I know there must be lots of people in prominent positions who feel the same- maybe we'll be the next group to be "in".  Being in my 60's I watched as people of color gained equal rights (under the law at least) and now the gay community is slowly being accepted too.  I think once we gain acceptance, the world will be surprised at our numbers.  But we have to come out, not from the closet, but from under the alter! :)

Ceil, you are right!  I think it's going to take a long time though!~ Mindy

Yes I think it will take a long time Mindy for us to finally gain acceptance. Yes, we need to start coming out and telling people.

All of my friends know that I am an atheist, so the question is never brought up. Because all my friends here in Tennessee are Christian I keep most of my opinions to myself. But I will say here, on AN, freely, that, yes, I am totally against religion. I find it detrimental and harmful to mankind. I am opposed to any kind of spirituality, because I do not believe in spirits or spiritism. I am a complete Materialist. I believe everything is reducible to matter/energy, that there is no spiritual element to the universe.

I am against religion too Anthony.

It is nice that all your friends are Atheist. It must make things easier on you.

I respond to the same questions from my friends , I put up the tree just for fun  and artwork ,sake for my husband so he likes the colorful lights  up the room than just TV alone.    Nothing does with Christmas that I hate . Religious is like virus.    That's why we stay together long time.  I gave my rule he agreed that I tear down the tree and shove up to the attic first thing in the morning of Dec.  26th.  He is a very supportive person. 

Religion is like a virus. I am happy he is supportive of you sflmac.

Imo holidays are one of the best things to come out of religion. Any reason to celebrate (within reasonable boundries) is a good reason! Festivities <3

I'm not against 'ritual', when it benefits family and encourages positive communication and connection with family.

The religious appeal of the Season left me years ago. I see it less as a 'religious' occasion or event and more as a family one.

So no I'm not against 'Christmas' but definitely resistant to the religiosity involved. 

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service