How do you respond to: "Are you against religion?", "Are you against Christmas?"

I was asked by an Xtian if I decorated for Christmas.

When I answered "NO" - I got the questions I have heard before.

"Are you against Religion? Are you against Christmas."

(Religion is bad - so yes I am against religion)

Any of you here get these same questions? 

How do you handle them?

Views: 2219

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, I think we live in a period of the death of religion and this last great battle may go on for centuries, but ultimately, religion causes so many conflicts, disputes and wars, Homo sapiens will either reject it or perish because of it. I like your term "Transitional Fossil between Complete Naivety era and Highly knowledgeable era". 

calmly answer their questions and respond to them like they are humans who err. even their questions get dumber, louder, and more vehement, maintain composure and be the bigger person. 

I have no problem with people hanging up christmas trees, saying merry christmas, or whatever it is.  I think if someone says to me "happy  hannakuh" and I'd say "happy hannukah" back just because it's not like someone is saying these things to be a dick or are trying to be inconsiderate or whatever.  I'm on another tangent. But maintain composure and be the bigger person, because most people who celebrate christmas, especially those who say that there is a war on christmas are insecure and don't know how to handle their doubts, etc. 

Christmas is the Summer solstice here, usually in the mid 40C temperatures 105 to 115F, yet occasionally it gets real cold, spent one Xmas lunchtime inside my taxi driver's cabin to eat, because it was too cold to sit outside, it dropped to a freezing 15C (59F).

Yet clowns still have roast dinners like they did in the Northern hemisphere, silly sods.

My family settles for cold meat and salads for Xmas, err, I mean Summer Solstice. :-D~

I just Google Earthed your location and the temperatures in your part of Earth look deadly. I do hope you have plenty of good, clean water and some way to get relief from that heat. I fold when the temps get into the 90 degree range. 

We are having bitterly cold weather, heavy winds, and very little snow ... only a snifter so far. 

Just think everyone. If Jesus had of been born in a different era and the christian religion had of evolved this same way, none of his followers would have crosses around their necks. They would all have gold chain necklaces with tiny electric chairs on them.

Then movie makers wanting to make a statement about chrisitanity and the world of believers could make a film like "The Sign Of The Electric Chair." When you put a little comedy in, it sure takes all the drama out!

What is the common remark when you tell the above to the public and that person is a christian?  "God will get you for that." They mean it too, but such sayings are one of the ways I fight christianity. Make everybody think.

"God will get you for that."

Astonishing how often that these people who are supposed to be so good resort to threats to attempt to manipulate their audience!  Now ... pointing that out to them may not be horribly Politically Correct ... but then, I'm not PC at ALL!

Yes Loren I agree - they can say the most horrid things. I've heard them myself.

Thank you Dennis for your reply. That would be an interesting movie - who could direct that movie?

What I did was this: I wrote a novel called "Xmas Carol". It reclaims Xmas for us while making fun of religion all along the way. It's an uplifting horror story, I think. And readers seem to agree.

I mean, why argue with these folks? There's no percentage in it. But for the record, I always tell religious people that it's impossible for me to respect their beliefs. Absolutely impossible. This doesn't mean we can't be friends -- lots of my friends are religious. But they're not allowed to spout nonsense when they're around me. Seems to work!

Merry Xmas!

Do you sell your book on Amazon Keith? It sounds like something I'd like to read.

Yup, it's right there on Kindle: Xmas Carol by Keith O'Connor. I hope you do read it  -- and I also hope you'll review it when you're done. (I'm not looking for anything other than an honest reaction to the book -- good or bad. It's a barrel of fun. I promise. I made it cheap so everyone could afford it. $2.99. I think that's what all ebooks should sell for. I mean, really. It's not like they had to print and deliver a product. Happy reading! (I'm not sure if I can post a link here but I'll try. It's http://goo.gl/QG2rHo )

thank you so much Keith - appreciate the link

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service