How do you respond to: "Are you against religion?", "Are you against Christmas?"

I was asked by an Xtian if I decorated for Christmas.

When I answered "NO" - I got the questions I have heard before.

"Are you against Religion? Are you against Christmas."

(Religion is bad - so yes I am against religion)

Any of you here get these same questions? 

How do you handle them?

Views: 2343

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's one hell of a laundry list there, Dustin ... I LIKE it ... and I think I may steal it! [grin!]

Dustin I agree with your list. Religion is the scourge of the earth.

Go for it Loren, spread it around :) Furthermore, religion is outdated and it restricts woman's rights.

Shall we also mention "homophobic?"  Hmmm, seems I just DID!

I agree with Loren, Dustin!  Well said!  My Grandpa always said religion was the scourge of the Earth.

Excellent response.  You've said it better than I could have.  Really excellent.

Love your list Dustin.

So are you saying we should just let them kill innocent people, carry out terrorism and create wars? I'm not too sure, but I think there is increasing violence against religion and religious people by non-believers, including athiests. In the United States and other countries, Christians are victims of atheist violence and it is an ongoing conflict. In developed nations (e.g. the United States, Canada, Australia and some European countries), where one would think bigotry and anti-religious violence would be decreasing, people see more and more anti-religious violence. Billboards, full-page ads in newspapers, websites, the formation of atheist groups to perform violence against religion and so on all point to the rise in violence by atheists against religion. And I have noticed that about myself. At one time I wasn't really against religion, but now I have become more of a militant athiest. I don't care about religious people too much anymore either. They remind me of all the horrible things religious nuts have done, how crazy they can be, etc. I wouldn't mind seeing a priest or nun being abused the same way they abused innocent people because they deserve to be punished for their wrong doings. But unfortunately, lots get away with it because they be a coward and, ironically, hide behind God.

Well Dustin, Atheist violence against religion in Australia.WHERE?????   I've been an atheist in Australia for 40 years and haven't witnessed, heard of nor even been asked to participate in any form of violence against any religious groups.

There have been a few attacks on Islamic groups though these were vendettas sparked by local conflicts.  Such as those riots that were just retalliatory attacks by local groups against Islamics that attacked a group of beach going kids and made abusive remarks to their girls.  A lot of Islamic boys consider themselves gung-ho and were hanging around popular areas where there are lots of young girls, some make abusive comments about the girls mode of dress (considered as deliberately provocative by Islam) and even attempted to rape a couple of girls because they consider the provocative dress as the girls asking to be raped.  I've personally witnessed these groups of young Islamics throwing insults at women and sexually harrassing young women.  These were the reasons for them being attacked, not just their religion though their religion has honed their ridiculous attitudes.

We have many Islamics and in fact representatives from all religions on planet Earth here and so far there has not been any conflicts between them based simply on religious differences. I work with Islamics, Hindus, Buddhists and even have devout Xtian clients, though most of my social friends are atheists apart from one Islamic and a Buddhist, my daughter is dating an Islamic who all of my atheist family see as a fantastic bloke, we are oblivious to his religion, except when others make a point of it, to which we jump to his defence and defend his right to believe.

You haven't any idea of what conflicts are going on here and appear to read too much into false propaganda from media who revel in scandal and sensationalization.

You really have to live here to know the truth, don't believe all you read, papers are produced by great liars.

Aye M8!  :-D

Well said G'Day. 

I like a lot of points made in this post, but do not like it so much when all religious people are lumped together for our scorn. My wife is a devout Anglican and I do not see her in that jaundiced light.  She tolerates my atheism as well.

I hope atheists do not fall into the same rut that religious bigots have made.  We have come to hate religion and what people have done in its name, but we shouldn't hate someone just because they are religious. 

People should be judged on their merits. If your daughter's boyfriend respects your daughter's rights and is a good person then he will make a good addition to your family.

Relationships should trump ideologies.

Thanks, yes, he respects her atheism and she respects his being a moderate Islamic.  He treats her very well, like a beautiful princess, which of course she is, even though his family are opposed to him marrying anyone other than a Turkish Islamic girl.  His parents aren't aware he is dating our daughter, even though she has met his father and he thinks she's a beautiful and nice girl, but not somebody his son should marry.

Thanks for the responses G'Day! Appreciate it.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service