How do you respond to: "Are you against religion?", "Are you against Christmas?"

I was asked by an Xtian if I decorated for Christmas.

When I answered "NO" - I got the questions I have heard before.

"Are you against Religion? Are you against Christmas."

(Religion is bad - so yes I am against religion)

Any of you here get these same questions? 

How do you handle them?

Views: 2219

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I hear you, I grew up in a household where religion was not that important.. went to church a few times a year and such, but that was about it.  For some reason, in the past 10 years or so, while I was going further and further away from believing any kind of dogma, my mom and now my sister are going the other way, both re-post stuff from something called "godvine" on facebook, etc.  It is very odd to have someone in the family go in that direction.

The god-people have been increasingly assertive in American culture. There are places in the U.S. now -- like the town where I live now -- where Christian culture predominates and actively suppresses all other belief systems or worldviews. In some environments, one can come to feel like "resistance is fultile."

Joseph, that's funny about your neighbors and what you said to them! lol!  I wonder what went through their minds when the PTL Club and Jim and Tammy Faye turned out to be not so 'xtian' ?

A high IQ is often evidence that one is good at IQ tests, it isn't evidence that you are 'smart' or nice. 

I vaguely remember a short story about a man who acquires the ability of total recall, and uses it to find patterns in vague hints of people's behavior and gain advantage in business -- to a point, until he makes a complete jerk of himself. The increase in one type of "intelligence" did not come with any increase in emotional or social intelligence.

Any idea what the story is, or who wrote it?

Sometimes I say something like "I don't understand the question. I love peace a lot so if "against" means am I ready to fight about something, then I'd say I'm not against religion. If 'against' means do I resist being oppressed by someone else's ideas, then I would have to say 'yes,I am against religion'. Which sene of the word did you mean?" I know:  that's a lot of words but sometimes it buys me release from the whole lot of words they were gonna say, trying to convert me to some way of thinking.

Good point Alex - thank you.

From a Secular Perspective : http://www.secularism.org.uk/blog/2011/12/we-wish-you-a-merry--and-... - Basically sod off, ill do it my way, you do it yours.

Oh man, their bit on OCC is chilling!  I can't even imagine most churches agreeing to that knowingly.

http://www.secularism.org.uk/blog/2012/10/enticing-children-to-evan...

i always respond that i am not a practicing pagan, so the trappings of Yule such as a decorated evergreen, holly, etc. are inappropriate, as are the Saturnalia practices of gift exchange and mistletoe, although i do find the observation of winter solstice to be interesting as axial tilt and earth's elliptical orbit are good teaching moments for my kids...

Yes, Xmas, Yuletide are all based on superstition, superstition is based on magic, so I'm anti-superstition!

Superstition is putting magic before knowledge, religions are all based on superstition, I always put knowledge before magic, so I'm anti-superstition and thus anti-religion.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service