How do you feel when other people discuss God(s) as if they apply to you? How do you respond?

More specifically I'm referring to when people tell you something like "God is punishing you" or "God loves you" when they know you're an atheist? The double standard in this is obvious when you reveal your view towards it and you're immediately labeled as arrogant or close-minded. I think this notion is asinine because the fact that they aren't receptive to your worldview is the very essence of being close-minded.

How do you "win" so to speak in these situations? What do you all do?

P.S. I'm thankful for atheist communities such as this because if I didn't have it to unwind I'd lose my mind.

Views: 650

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh gosh I hate when people do that! This is a pet peeve of mine, so when someone says something like "God is punishing you" I respond something like this: "Which god?"

And sometimes the look in their faces is priceless!

Many years before an old man, who knew that I am an atheist, said that I seem to be doing fine because of my goodness in my past life!! How could I respond to this if I did not know anything about my own past life?  

When I was an atheistic Wiccan, I would simply reply with the equivalent statement: God bless / Goddess bless, Merry Christmas / Joyous Yule, &c.

Here where I live now, and everyone in the county knows me, no one gives me such greetings. (They still greet me of course, but leave out the religious overtones, except for one woman who used to be our neighbour and still thinks she can save us from her idea of the devil.)

In the latter case, she was more comfortable with me as a Wiccan than as an atheist. (I still hear the "you gotta believe in something" remark, but not so much anymore, as I believe in lots of things, just not unsubstantiated stories.)

There is no "winning" if your goal is to prove any kind of point to these kinds of people. They have a vested interest in deluding themselves into believing that you are the problem, despite any contrary evidence or reason, and without just cause. The best bet is to stay away from such people, and remember that while they may LOOK bright, that it is just because the speed of light is slightly faster than the speed of stupidity.

LOL Travis, I love "...and remember that while they may LOOK bright, that it is just because the speed of light is slightly faster than the speed of stupidity." :)  ~ Melinda

I guess my viewpoint on any type of personal belief system is that it is personal... if I push back on someone because of something they say and try to refute what they say, I am not any better than they are, if I ignore it, then I am keeping myself sane and still being true to my own personal belief system. I have no problem with someone else having strong religious convictions, as long as they don't try to infringe on other people's rights because of them (unfortunately many evangelicals try to infringe on other people's rights all the time).

Well, once I felt really bad.
But little by little I'm getting used.
I am an atheist, I in live Brazil and here in our country to declare atheist is the same thing as being in "hell." (ironically)

I am sorry to hear of your rough experience. I hope you are able to find friends that are willing to accept you for who you are, rather than who they want you to be.

I just say "no'

If my acquaintances know my views about religion and say something like "god is punishing you," I return by saying, "I know your god is punishing me, because you are here." If they say something similar to "god loves you," I say " I know your god loves me because you are leaving." If they do not know me and make similar comments, I do not give them the time of day.

ha ha Larry, I love your responses!! :)  Melinda

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Joan Denoo commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
1 hour ago
Joan Denoo commented on nice girl's blog post Why I am here
1 hour ago
Joan Denoo liked nice girl's blog post Why I am here
2 hours ago
Jason Andrews commented on nice girl's blog post Why I am here
2 hours ago
Plinius commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
2 hours ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to k.h. ky's discussion Edward Snowden
3 hours ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to k.h. ky's discussion Edward Snowden
3 hours ago
Freethinker31 commented on DAN DANA's blog post This Is How the Gaza War Will End
3 hours ago
Patricia replied to Ceil's discussion Please help me maintain some sanity... It just isn't true!
3 hours ago
Patricia replied to Ceil's discussion Please help me maintain some sanity... It just isn't true!
4 hours ago
Patricia replied to Sentient Biped's discussion More than 30,000 Nexus members. Where are they?
4 hours ago
BIPLAB DAS posted an album

anti superstition programme

its our regular antisuperstition school programme. this time we are in CHHATNA GIRLS HOGH SCHOOL of BANKURA DISTRICT in INDIA. we are disclosing the miracle behind FIRE WALKING.
4 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service