How do you explain magic (Satan and Jin)? My question does not concern individual cases because i know some people suffer from psychological problems, I am asking about how a number of people can see magic happen in front on them? And how does the magician or psychic get to know things in the future or things that happened in the past that no one knows? For example, when people are robbed they go to one of those people and they can reveal the thieves and tell their names and motives. Please let me know if you have any sort of explanation to this.
Regards,

Views: 440

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

None of that is "magic".  You can't explain "magic" because there is no such thing.  The things you are talking about aren't "magic".

That's not magic that's evolution.

Magic has another common name, "sleight-of-hand".  It is all trickery.  And, as Loren says, look up James Randi.  

Ahmed, there are whole books explaining "magic" tricks and "mind reading" scams.  Here's a site that examines hoaxes: http://www.skeptic.com/  These are rational people.  The key to understanding "magic" is this: Everything that happens follows the laws of science: chemistry, physics, biology, and all.  So if something appears to violate such a law, it's either a trick or a misunderstanding of evidence.  Thanks for a really good question.

Here's a video by some famous American "magicians" Penn & Teller who explain "psychic readings."

I really cannot believe this is a thread. Trust in science!

Terence McKenna once explained that what we call "magic" utterly becomes without mystery if you posit that these somehow work through a "higher dimension." Then, seeing into the future, things popping in and out of existence perfectly makes sense if you posit a higher dimension.

What?  Matt, can you explain that in another way?  You lost me.

Sure. As Loren Miller quoted Arthur C. Clarke: 

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

In other words, if you posit that the extraterrestrial, for example, didn't visit us from Star Systems that reside billions and billions of light-years away from us, but rather through parallel dimensions, realities or universes that co-exist in time and space with our own universe, except through the phenomenon of quantum decoherence, do not interact with our universe except through a kind of "advanced technology" possessed by an E.T.

So, from our perception, it looks as though something, i.e. a UFO "pops into existence." I mean, that's just one example. Another example would be the Tralfamadorians in Kurt Vonnegut's book "SlaughterHouse-Five" that perceive in the 4th dimension, so all time is relative from their perspective, past, present, or future are all seen from that perspective, and if you have that kind of perspective, then things like seeing into the past, present, or future become utterly unmysterious. 

So, the word "supernatural" can then be defined by those processes that are intertwined somehow with or manipulated through a higher dimension. Well, I'm not sure if that was understood, but here's two links that might help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozWo_v6vrTY#t=11m50s

Michio Kaku on Parallel Realities

Two quotes to summarize this whole business:

One man's "magic" is another man's engineering. "Supernatural" is a null word.
-- Robert A. Heinlein

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
-- Arthur C. Clarke

“When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.”

Emo Philips quote

The magic was feeling forgiven. 

If I explain it to you, it will no longer be cool. Magic and psychic powers are illusory. There is no supernatural force causing anything to happen. Magicians and psychics take advantage (hopefully for entertainment purposes) of perceptual biases and attentional deficits that all humans have.

Magicians and psychics are not able to know things in the future or past that no one knows. There are many subtle and often amazingly simple deceptions that can be used for gathering information to give this impression, but it is all trickery.

So far as I know, there is not a single confirmable example of a psychic solving a crime by providing specific information about the perpetrator. If someone can do this, they should collect James Randi's million dollars. If I had magic powers, I'd sure do it.

I am a bit curious about the parenthetic "Satan and Jin." Are you implying that anyone who can perform an illusion in front of a number of people is capable of harnessing evil forces?

RSS

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service