I was watching "The Colbert Report" last night and I heard about a program called "Jesus Ween", in Texas.  To celebrate, Christians staying at home must dress in white and pass out bibles to trick-or-treaters instead of candy.

Earler this week, I was paid a visit by a mother-daughter Jehovah's Witness team, at least I think they were Jehovah's Witnesses.  They left a pamphlet in my door that promoted Christianity and "The End of all False Religions".

Back in March, I was coming out of a movie theater when a man (with his son present) practically forced a fake million-dollar bill with a Christian message on the back.  And last year when I was house-sitting for my father, a father-son Jehovah's Witness team came to the door to talk about Jesus Christ.  Despite the fact (or maybe even because of it) that my car which has two Atheist bumper stickers on it was in the driveway.

My point is that many Christians seem to make a habit of pushing their beliefs onto people of other faiths in an attempt to convert them, as if the very existence of followers of other faiths is lethal to them.  Why?  And how can they get away with it?

My understanding of the Freedom of Religion that all Americans are guaranteed of by the first amendment of the constitution means that while everyone is entitled to their own beliefs, it is illegal for anyone, whether they're an elected official or the common man, to try to convert others to their beliefs.  (Again, this is just my understanding of it and I may be mistaken).

If that's true, then what the people I've mentioned above are doing is completely illegal.  How can they get away with it?  If it isn't true, if what these people are doing is legal, then why are we not seeing any telecasts from the Jewish Broadcasting Network?  Or getting visits from Buddha's Witnesses?

My intention in starting this discussion isn't to try and force my thinking onto you, but rather, it is seeking your help in understanding this situation and deciding what we can do about it.  For while everyone may be entitled to my opinion, I'd much rather they get their own.

UPDATE: OK you all make very good points.  They are protected under the Freedom of Speech.  However, just because they can do something doesn't mean they should.  But why do many Christians feel the need to convert every non-Christians they come across?  That's what I want to know.  America was originally meant to be a safe haven where members of non-Christian faiths come be free to practice tehir religions without fear of Christian persecution.  What happened was that Christians merely continued that practice here as they did in Europe.  Why?

And could we use a Jehovah's Witness door-to-door style to promote the theory of evolution?  If they're protected under the Freedom of Speech, then we should be too.  But should we decide to do such a thing, I feel we should relegate the door-to-door travels to areas where the teaching of evolution is under attack, such as the states of Kentucky, Louisiana, and Texas.

Tags: Jehovah's, Witnesses, amendment, constitution, conversion, first, freedom, religion

Views: 233

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Makes me think that the evangelising is carried out because of fear.  It is as if there is safety in number.  The more people they convert, they feel more secure.  To me, if something is really that good or TRUE, no promotion is needed.  Who ever goes around claiming "The Sun will rise!"?

Let's put the shoe on the other foot and evangelize Atheism with door to door missionaries:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1G8nJ2IFjA

They don't seem to like it either, I wonder why?

My understanding of the Freedom of Religion that all Americans are guaranteed of by the first amendment of the constitution means that while everyone is entitled to their own beliefs, it is illegal for anyone, whether they're an elected official or the common man, to try to convert others to their beliefs.  (Again, this is just my understanding of it and I may be mistaken).

You are mistaken.  The First Amendment guarantees the freedom to practice a religion and disllows Congress from making any law respecting the establishment of any religion.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service