On a near party-line vote Republicans blocked Obama's attempts to make sure that millionaires pay at least 30 percent of their income in taxes. Why do so many low-income and middle-income Americans oppose such commonsense pollicies?

Views: 145

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for the pic, Richard.

Yes, they think trickle down economics is the answer to the bad economy.

Found this book called "Unequal Democracy" by Larry M. Bartels, you guys (especially those of you who think trickle-down economics work, ahem!) should check it out. A link http://press.princeton.edu/titles/8664.html and a brief summary:

"Using a vast swath of data spanning the past six decades, Unequal Democracy debunks many myths about politics in contemporary America, using the widening gap between the rich and the poor to shed disturbing light on the workings of American democracy. Larry Bartels shows the gap between the rich and poor has increased greatly under Republican administrations and decreased slightly under Democrats, leaving America grossly unequal. This is not simply the result of economic forces, but the product of broad-reaching policy choices in a political system dominated by partisan ideologies and the interests of the wealthy.

Bartels demonstrates that elected officials respond to the views of affluent constituents but ignore the views of poor people. He shows that Republican presidents in particular have consistently produced much less income growth for middle-class and working-poor families than for affluent families, greatly increasing inequality. He provides revealing case studies of key policy shifts contributing to inequality, including the massive Bush tax cuts of 2001 and 2003 and the erosion of the minimum wage. Finally, he challenges conventional explanations for why many voters seem to vote against their own economic interests, contending that working-class voters have not been lured into the Republican camp by "values issues" like abortion and gay marriage, as commonly believed, but that Republican presidents have been remarkably successful in timing income growth to cater to short-sighted voters.

Unequal Democracy is social science at its very best. It provides a deep and searching analysis of the political causes and consequences of America's growing income gap, and a sobering assessment of the capacity of the American political system to live up to its democratic ideals."

You're welcome Jonathan, and since I don't have the time to get to that book right now, much as I'd like to, if you do get a chance to look at it, will you check back in with me and let me know what you think?

To be more thoughtful about this question, there is more to it than theories of trickle down economics.  I think  you have to ask, and listen to, voters who represent working class and middle class Americans and see what they really say.  I don't know that a lot of them know about "trickle down" economics.  Other factors could include, aligning themselves with the "moral" issue of the Republican right wing (religion being their opiate), attitudes about authoritarianism (that being the right wing, again), the fantasy of somehow "striking it rich" and wanting to be able to keep it all, the attitude the rich know how to get rich, so would pass that on to the country if elected.  It's also the "package" that the right wing offers - reactionary social attitudes, the sense of security that authoritarian regimes provide (even if false), the opportunity to scapegoat disinfranchesed people so that blame for bad times is not in the hands of the working class and middle class, the security of feeling "right".  As for why republican politicians vote against taxes for the rich, it's the rich who pay them and help keep them in office. 

Much of this is speculation on my part.  I much prefer actual data.

I was listening to Ed Shultz on the radio yesterday and they were talking about this.  I'm pretty sure that's which show I was listening to at the time, lol, I listen to a lot of them.  Someone was saying that people that align with the rich might think well everybody has the right to earn as much money as they can and then keep it.  If they take money from the rich people, they might take it from me ( them).  They don't get that it's a privilege to live in a country that makes you able to earn that much money.  Also very rich people get their money from investing and then get tax-breaks.  Why should it matter if you get your income from working or investing?  If you get income, it should be taxed the same.  There shouldn't be tax-breaks for wealthy people.  If you don't help to bring everyone up in a society there will be anarchy.  No man is an island.;)

YOUR DEMONIZING SUCCESS and hurting the job creators! I won't be able to buy that new jet this year , ill have to wait til next year!

Darn.  Sorry. ;)

Obama paid about 20% on his 790K income last year.

Yeah .. same here Jonathan.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service