Holding Their Breath
Looking about the family page I noticed that one of the flock is having some difficulty. They are probably glad for the outpouring of support they’ve received so far. I’ve followed the posts carefully until I just couldn’t take it any more. Let me be specific.

"XXXX, Put it in God's hands. Hang in there girlfriend!"

"Hi XXXX. "Be brave. Be strong. Don't Give Up. Expect God to get here soon." Psalm 31:24 (The Message)"

"XXXX just remember not to lean on our own understanding but HIS."

"1Sam 12:16........stand and see this great thing which the Lord will do before your eyes..."

"If god has brought you to it...... God will bring you through it.... Hang in there XXXX!!!!!"

Before I go to the rant, I went to the telephone, had a conversation and then went to Western Union. I also got a cousin involved that lives in the same before I sent this to a few select individuals (family).

Now! These people are related to me and it pisses me off that they come up with such inane platitudes and Biblical advice. Wait! That’s what white folks told us during the Civil Rights Movement. Our own folks told us the same. Wait turned into weight that dragged some of us to trees that sprouted strange fruit. Wait! If Paul and Peter had been holding their breath waiting on Jesus to return, even as mythical characters, they’d still be dead and stinking.

To me waiting for God is like praying. Recently the President caught much grief from the Religious Right for not supporting National Prayer Day. Whatever his reasons, to me, it was the right thing to do. My deceased mother-in-law had a saying, “Wish in one hand and shit in the other and see which one fills up first.” Raw, and to the point. Groups of nonbelievers and freethinkers donated blood and if only one person made it to the Blood Bank that day, that individual did more to help than the millions of prayers that floated away in the ether.

For an omnipotent, omnipresent and omniscient being, God has been omni-absent since man learned to document experiences and others began to evaluate those scribblings. In fact, both he and Jesus have been remiss in returning their calls. Personally, I think they were “down-sized” long ago and even the sign at corporate headquarters fell into the dust centuries ago because of no maintenance.

Thank you for letting me ramble, but for some reason such advice rakes my nerves like nails on a blackboard.

Don

Views: 8

Replies to This Discussion

yep
Awesome video. I am sooo tempted to send it to a religious friend, but I don't want to be accused of proselytizing.
It annoys all of us. We must do all we can to enlighten those around us, arguably by "hook or by crook".
Absolutely!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service