I'm jay, just joined the group, I've always doubted a 'God', especially learning about evolution and science. As I studied philosophy I realized some didn't believe in God because they can't see him, some say why believe in something that can't be proven? Well, I stumbled upon Thomas Aquinas' 5 proofs of existence of God using scientific principles of physics which he uses to demonstrate-law of motion, a first cause that set all in motion, cause and effect, he says basically a 0 can't yield a 1, so a creator had to of always existed, etc. I never thought of that before. I just look at some people are sheep and NEED to believe in something to motivate themselves.

Then, I look back in history, ironically, religion gave rise to a lot of science, catholics started the university system, priests came up with heliocentric theory and big bang theory, I don't know, the bible is just fables but Aquinas seems to have a valid point. Just because some people need to believe in something to motivate themselves doesn't make them stupid or ignorant as an article on this very site points out, we don't need that, science works fine, but what do you guys think? What say you?

Cheers,
j

Views: 3

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Welcome Jay. Certainly religion (as a whole) has done far more to suppress knowledge throughout our history than promote it.
Well, I stumbled upon Thomas Aquinas' 5 proofs of existence of God using scientific principles of physics which he uses to demonstrate-law of motion, a first cause that set all in motion, cause and effect, he says basically a 0 can't yield a 1, so a creator had to of always existed, etc. I never thought of that before.

I'm wondering if you're just trolling, since this was posted 22 minutes after making your account...but I try to assume honest intent.

If a 0 can't yield a 1, then how'd the 0 of the void yield a diety? If the diety didn't have to be created, then it's admitted something doesn't have to be created. If something doesn't have to be created, why bother with the diety? Occam's razor is a great tool.

priests came up with heliocentric theory and big bang theory
Yeah, they treated Galileo Galilei like royalty. Maybe even funded his work. Wait, that's not right.
Oh, they called him a heretic and made him recant? Nevermind, then.

For the most part, religion has struggled against progress for the whole of its existence. For every Lemaitre, there are a thousand Hypatias and Galileos.

Believing in something to motivate them doesn't make them ignorant or stupid. Just delusional. Especially when they demand others acknowledge their delusion.

Anyway, welcome!
Hi Joey, everyone , no, not trolling, just making an intro about me on my thoughts. What I meant was in trying to explain that argument was nothing cannot yield something, non-existence cannot yield existence and Aquinas says infinite regression is impossible because the moved must have an original mover. Since "God" or the first cause was always there, everything else comes from that original source because it just can't be the cause of itself. That was his argument, it just got me thinking, we discuss theology and philosophy here and stuff so I think its appropriate to discuss thoughts like this. Thanks for the welcome.

j

oh, Copernicus was the first to introduce heliocentric theory, not Galileo, he proved it.
Yeah, I knew about Copernicus, I just used Galileo as an example of them being fairly unfriendly to science. I also meant to reference him beside Lemaitre and completely forgot.
Every side gets people that are unfriendly towards science. There are even atheists that dislike it. (They're rare, but they're out there.) I think religion just has a much higher percentage of them.

A fairly decent takedown of Aquinas can be found at http://www.geocities.com/paulntobin/aquinas.html

Sorry for implying you might a troll. Being an atheist on the internet makes some of us a bit wary. We attract a lot of them pretty much anywhere.
I'm definitely in favor of anything that makes people think.

Welcome again, without the implication of trolling. Glad to have you aboard.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service