Atheist Nexus Logo

Hey.

I'm new, everyone (obviously), so I figured I would follow the game-plan and introduce myself.

My name is Ava, I am an Atheist since birth and a secular humanist since I could read about philosophy and ethics. I am not an apostate of any religion, nor have I ever been inclined to consider being religious. I've been able to point out the glaring contradictions in sacred texts since the age of five, when I had no shame to challenge the pastor of the church I went to (reluctantly, with my foster dad) about what he was reading in sermons.

I have Asperger's Syndrome, a mild form of autism. I believe it renders me completely unable to sympathize with the religious position because of my need to see things objectively and very 'black and white'.

I am a mother. I have a two year old daughter that I hope will grow up to be an intelligent and successful secular humanist, even if she only runs around naked and watches Spongebob right now-- someday she will think of deeper things, and when she asks where we came from, I will tell her we are stardust; we are remnants of dying stars. That is far more beautiful and less frightening than threatening her with hell.

I love intelligent debate and I love making friends on these websites (something I used to be very nervous of). I hope that within a few months, I am talking with a lot of you very frequently.

I am active on ThinkAtheist and other secular websites. I work as a freelance graphic artist for now, so if anyone needs any blog headers or buttons designed, let me know (I do it for free for anybody in the secular or autism communities because I believe in the cause).

I believe the world will only begin to be free when religion is eradicated, and I am terrified of the influence of religious conservatism in American politics, and how it contributes so heavily to the world's problems. True freedom is freedom of mind and thought, and that involves letting go of dogma, indoctrination, and myth that has no evidence.

Thanks for reading.

Views: 234

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Ava -- I hope you are enjoying the site --- nice to have you here.

Welcome Ava, well actually you should be the one to welcome me.  You know, I actually have Autism too.  If you ever wanna talk, feel free to leave me a message in my inbox.

Thanks for the welcome and the invite to talk.
No problem, you and I seem to have a lot in common anyway.  We're both secular humanists, we both fear about the influence religious conservatism has on politics.  The only thing we don't have in common is that where you've been an atheist all your life, I was a christian until I was 13.

I don't believe children have the capability of being religious because it's obvious they don't understand the implications that come with it, so we'll forgive you that and I will have considered you an Atheist your entire life-- because I think a person can only 'choose' to be religious when they're out of the range of their parents' direct influence, which weighs a lot on an impressionable young mind, particularly somebody with Aspergers. I'm entirely sure if my family had been strictly religious I may have been that way for part of my life as well, because I tended to accept most things I was told as truth if my parents were adamant about it; I was naive and intelligent at the same time.

Welcome Ava! Glad to have you aboard.

I'm from PA too. My wife and I reside in Bedford county, which is in the south central part of the state. I'm glad to see another "local" join the club.

Yeah, I'm an hour north of Pittsburgh, north-west PA. :)

Humm, I'm originally from Kittanning which is about 45 miles north-north-east of Pittsburgh, and we've also lived in New Bethlehem which is about another 20 miles north of Kittanning (going towards Clarion) and I can't say I'm familiar with Greeneville. I figured you were probably out east towards Harrisburg, Scranton, or Philly.

If you haven't got to look at all of the groups yet, there's an atheist group out of Pittsburgh. Sadly for us, the closet group is at least an hour and a half away in State College.

Is it me or are the locatiion groups more for how? Lol there i hardly any activity in them. :(

*show.....and is*...i hate my keyboard

Greenville is halfway between Erie and Pittsburgh (about an hour away from both), and thirty minutes east of Youngstown Ohio. It's in Mercer County, about thirty or forty minutes from both Butler and Meadville; we're ten minutes from the actual Ohio border. We actually get Youngstown local news.

:)

Hi and welcome!!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Nexus on Social Media:

© 2015   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service