Just wanted to stop in and say hello!  I'm new to Atheist Nexus and looking forward to getting to know people.

I was raised Southern Baptist and converted to Orthodox Christianity in 2007.  Owning up to my atheism has been a long, torturous, emotional process since mid-2008 or so, and began with admitting to myself that I did not believe homosexuality was a sin.  I originally disguised these first wrinkles in my faith as "struggles" - I couldn't say, "I disagree with the Bible," for many years.  Instead I would say, "I struggle with this teaching," or something similar.  When I finally said, "out loud" in my brain, "I disagree with the Bible's teaching that homosexuality is a sin," it was a sweet release from the shackles of faith I had worn so willingly, and the rest of my beliefs quickly followed suit.

I'm still not "out" with my family or anyone from my childhood church or the Orthodox church.  I'm trying to find that courage and I think I get a bit closer every day.

Having been raised Southern Baptist I was taught to mistrust & discount science (and evolution above all), so I am positively a child when it comes to understanding most scientific concepts and principles.  I'm actively looking to expand my knowledge in this area.

Like many here, I'm sure, I count several secular writers and scientists among my teachers, particularly Christopher Hitchens.  I find his brand of tough love - the sweet, stinging Hitchslap - to be particularly effective in dispelling the religious notions still entrenched in my brain, things like "if there's no god, how can you determine morality?" and others.  He's also a tremendously gifted writer and I find that I am more learned after every paragraph I work through in his books or essays.

I'm sure I've gone on long enough already, so there is my deconversion, in a nutshell.  Looking forward to good discussions & resources to increase my knowledge about our world.

-Anna

Views: 130

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Anna!  Glad you found Atheist Nexus!  Good for you for getting out of that way of thinking.  You thought for yourself.  If someone asks how you can be moral without 'god', I would argue that if they read the bible and know the horrible stories, 'god' isn't very moral him/her/itself.  We are moral because as we evolved, we saw that we had to work together to survive.  We had to get along.  Things like being gay are not 'moral' issues.  That's just being judgemental, like the homophobic, ignorant men that wrote it.  Nice to meet you~ Melinda
I agree fully with what you said - being gay is no more a moral issue than being of a different skin color (which is to say, not at all!). Thanks for the welcome, Melinda!

Hi Anna, and welcome. I LOVE that intro. I'm not here nearly as much as I should be, but am very glad you are, lol.

Thanks very much! I'm still figuring everything out... but I'm sure I'll be around more & more as I learn the ropes. Thanks again for the welcome!
Hello and welcome. I would recommend Isaac Asimov's two volume text on science for the lay person as a good intro to understanding a lot of basic science concepts.
Thanks very much for the welcome & recommendation! I'll be sure to check that out.
Welcome Anna.  Glad you're here.  For a good understanding of evolution, I would recommend Richard Dawkins The Greatest Show On Earth.
Thanks for the welcome!  Ooh, a friend told me about that book this summer and I had forgotten.  Will definitely check that out, thanks again!

Welcome...........I am sure that joining this community will be a positive and hopefully life changing experience!!:)

Thank you very much! :)

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service