Hello there!

Discovered this forum a few days ago, and thought it was time I introduced myself.

I've been an atheist for as long as I remember, and I'm currently going through a bachelor in biology.

While I've usually kept my atheism to myself, the fascination that the biology courses have over me make me want to participate more in communication.

I've always been respectfull of other people's belief,
but now I catch myself wanting theists to "see", even just a glimpse, of how life can truly be fascinating when you accept the fact of being part of a 4 billion year old chemical reaction.

Reading through the posts on this forum, I realise how much luck I have living in a secular country like Switzerland. I can just hope the world will keep moving in a more secular direction.

Hope to know you all a bit better, and see you around,

Johan

Views: 48

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Welcome, Johan!  You are very lucky to live in a secular country.  It's just a matter of time, the secularization of America.  I hope to see it in my lifetime.  See you around!
Hi Johan!  Cheryl is right, you are very lucky to live in a secular country.  Cheryl,  I hope you are right about it being a matter of time, the secularization of America.  I don't have 'faith' in the masses.  I fear for my kids.
Hi Johan!  See ya around the site!
Hey! Glad to know someone who won the lottery (living in Switzerland)! I live in the exact opposite of Switzerland. Welcome.
Welcome to the forum!  nice to meet you

Hello!so many people in the usa are christian and claim it's a christian country(which it's not).You are very lucky indeed.I hope someday that my county is secular too.

I sincerely hope the USA will become a bit more secular country as well. It may seem to be in a very distant future when you look at the politics... but seeing how the kids seem to be now days, and how the rest of the world is moving along... there would just need to be a few politicians with the guts of coming out as atheists, and I think things could move quite fast.

And is Canada secular, anyone know? I might be moving there in a few years...

and while I have a very hard time imagining a Canadian being pushy about religion... I never really asked.

Hello and welcome.... I just read a funny short story by the author Sarah Vowell about Canadians and how they differ from Americans.  She basically boils it down to the difference between cowboys (the grubby individualists on horses who use guns every chance they get) and mounties (the well dressed, polite guys on horses who helped to 'tame' the Canadian wilderness).  Cowboys swagger and take the law into their own hands, Mounties do the right thing and enforce the law.  Americans do not like the word conformity; Canadians like to think of it as 'working together as a team'.  Vowell quoted a funny story about the film "It's a Wonderful Life" and how Canadians would call that bragging and title it "It's an All Right Life" instead.  So no, I can't imagine Canadians being pushy about ANYTHING...ha.  But I'm one of those people obsessed with Canada...especially their humor.  If you haven't heard of 'Kids in the Hall', check it out sometime.  Here's a clip: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlkBk7X4ot4

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

Latest Activity

Pat replied to James M. Martin's discussion World Wrestling's Steve Austin on Why Same Sex Couples Should be Allowed to Marry
14 minutes ago
Warren Jappe commented on Steve Shives's video
41 minutes ago
Warren Jappe posted a video

It's good to be anti-Islam

...but not anti-Muslim. Christians burned alive, beheaded, crucified and tortured to death http://endoftheamericandream.com/archives/christians-are-being-bur...
57 minutes ago
Pat replied to Raj's discussion Bible: all laws must be obeyed
1 hour ago
Pat replied to Polaroidxxx's discussion Atheist Confetti
1 hour ago
John Jubinsky added a discussion to the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
1 hour ago
sk8eycat replied to Steph S.'s discussion Noah movie religious controversy
1 hour ago
Sentient Biped replied to Raj's discussion Bible: all laws must be obeyed
3 hours ago
Loren Miller replied to Polaroidxxx's discussion Atheist Confetti
3 hours ago
Steve Shives posted a video

Chapters Eleven and Twelve - An Atheist Reads Simply Christian

The examination of N.T. Wright's Simply Christian continues with a look at Chapter Eleven: Worship, and Chapter Twelve: Prayer.
3 hours ago
booklover replied to James M. Martin's discussion World Wrestling's Steve Austin on Why Same Sex Couples Should be Allowed to Marry
4 hours ago
Michael Penn replied to James M. Martin's discussion World Wrestling's Steve Austin on Why Same Sex Couples Should be Allowed to Marry
4 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service