I think my story is pretty typical at this point. I have been a non-believer most of my life, and I felt like I was the only one. I am 35 now, and have only recently started to reach out to atheist communities.

I am married to an Italian. He was raised Roman Catholic, so by the time he moved to the states, he was pretty much agnostic/atheist. We have one daughter.

I find it difficult to live in the United States, and especially in Texas where when you meet someone, their first questions are "What church are you going to? Please come to mine," and "What does your husband do for a living?" Well, I'm an atheist, so I don't go to church, and I am not defined by my husband. And then the looks start. I hate the look. And when you do make friends with someone, they feel it important to point out that they are going to miss you in heaven. Ugh.

Anyway, I am just glad to be able to talk to people all over the world, learn their stories and struggles, and know that I am no longer alone.

Sarah D.

Views: 9

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Welcome to A/N! You describe "the look" wonderfully. When I first moved down to North Carolina I got the same thing. You'll find kindred spirits here.

Take care,
Tom
I like kindred spirits! :P
Welcome! I'm always moved when I hear stories like yours. Here in Australia if you tell someone you're an atheist, they'll more than likely light up and say, "Me too! Bloody Christian bastards!" ;-)
Hmm, I will have to add Australia as one of my countries to possibly move to after my husband retires. I like that... Bloody Christian Bastards... I am going to use it. :)
Hi Sarah....Welcome aboard! This is a pretty friendly crowd. I don't think you'll get "the look" here. :)
Thanks for the Welcome. I am really liking the discussions and the chat room. I think this is my new favorite site.
You should tell them that you miss them in reality.
Also, what part of texas are you in? I'm just east of dfw.
The funny thing is that now we are not friends, and I don't miss her.
I live in Corinth, just north of Lewisville lake.
I had an old woman come to my door and tell me that atheism was a religion... I had to set her straight. That was a fun day. (Surprisingly, I am not being sarcastic here. It was fun.)

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service