long ago i was 18, in the US Coast Guard and our 36 footer was flipped, one of us drowned. while we were under i had a fleeting thot. "God save me and i'll believe in You unreservedly". at this time i was a cristian. i still believed. so i figured that as a believer my thot must have been heard by god and that must have been why i was saved and another young man had been taken. of course god hears all prayers, and my thot was addressed to God. i had often been told by my grandmother, who had raised me off and on that God is Love. i had a pretty good idea of what love was. i knew that loving someone meant that you endeavored to help them. but God must have loved my fellow coastie, who had died, because of my fleeting thot. so now i was guilty of killing a fellow coastie. of course God answers prayers, right? but wait, God already knows everything, and yet He kept me alive while He took my friend, so i dont have this burden of guilt, since God knew what i'd do. and he must have approved it or my friend wud still be alive.

ok, God is love, yet he killed my friend. this fact began ringing in my head, and the more i tried to understand it the more confused i got.  then i realized that God kills us all. and i was really confused. This is Love? in a few days, i'd figured that my grandma was simply wrong and that god must be the most evil thing imaginable and was unworthy of any worship. a few days later i visited the Coos Bay Oregon library and took out a bunch of books on atheism, and after i read a few of them i had shucked  the whole god thing.

Views: 83

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's absolutely amazing that you could be that religious and still convert to atheism by just reading a few books.  Of course, the ground was prepared when you questioned.  Welcome to Atheist Nexus!
Welcome Carl!
well, i don't lnow wj\hatyou mean by "That religious", i really wasn't. but i remember thinking, "if i continue to worship, in any way this evil being,that i had discovered, then i share in his evilness.  i was in a position where i could not continue to believe and retain my sanity. and i knew that without sanity i was kaput. so the books i read gave me other reasons for not believing, true, but i'm afraid i'd already figured that this god guy was not to be worshiped.
Yes, the problem of evil made me an atheist, too.
I loved reading your study and how you came upon Atheism.  Welcome to the site -- hope you are enjoying it here.
wow!  and i was so sure i was the only one to realize that!!!  LOLOLOLOLOLOL
Hey!
Smart man!   Glad you found Atheist Nexus~!
me too

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Michael Penn commented on Andrew Bradford Hoke's blog post Let's guess what Cardinal Law is doing right now...
15 minutes ago
Michael Penn replied to Luara's discussion the fragile penis
19 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to Joan Denoo's discussion Eradicating the Faith Virus - A Conversation with Peter Boghossian
20 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to Joe's discussion Warren city Atheist sues to set up alternative to prayer station at city hall in the group Atheist News
21 minutes ago
Joan Denoo liked Joe's discussion Warren city Atheist sues to set up alternative to prayer station at city hall
23 minutes ago
Joe added 4 discussions to the group Atheist News
32 minutes ago
Dan D replied to Atheist Andrea's discussion Are you open about being an atheist or are you in the closet?
51 minutes ago
Luara posted a discussion
51 minutes ago
booklover commented on Richard C Brown's group learnerscoffeeshack
1 hour ago
Steve Shives posted a video

Book Two, Chapters 17-19 - An Atheist Reads Ray Comfort

The series examining the books of Christian apologist Ray Comfort continues with a look at Chapters 17, 18, and 19 of Comfort's book, God Doesn't Believe in ...
1 hour ago
Idaho Spud replied to Joan Denoo's discussion My gravesite inscription
2 hours ago
Richard C Brown commented on Richard C Brown's group learnerscoffeeshack
2 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service