I am a relatively new non-theist, new enough to be unfamiliar with terminology, options, etc.  I am basking in the joy of freedom from religion having been raised in a fundamentalist family.  I am not yet "out" to family or friends.  I am excited to be a part of a community.  I am in McMinnville, Oregon.  I am a clinical psychologist.

Views: 131

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Glad you found us, guy.  Come on in and enjoy yourself!

Welcome C 

It can be difficult to discuss with your family members but I think it is good to be honest at some point.My parents are set in their ways and I usually dont get into It with them cause I already did my arguing in my teens Haha

Welcome. I'm 67 years old and I'm not totally "out" to my family and friends either. None of it is because I'm afraid, it's just that some of them would be very hurt to know. I am pretty vocal, and I'm sure that some of them have noticed changes. Only a handful of my friends know that I am atheist.

Glad you found us cbenhamccox!  This is an AWESOME site!  Ask questions, join groups, etc.  Most people on here are wonderful and lots of VERY smart people! Welcome!~ Mindy

I am new to this forum.  I've been an Atheist since I was 11, I think.  I just never knew what it was called.  My parents shoved their religious beliefs down my throat until I moved out at 18.  I am an open Atheist.  I've actually had a cousin tell me that I HAVE to be a Baptist because the rest of the family are.  Well it turns out that another cousin is also an Atheist. 

I recommend you read:  Mom, Dad, I'm an Atheist: The Guide to Coming Out as a
Non-believer
by David Gregory McAfee

Mary, I was lucky that I was raised by an Atheist.  My Mom never told me NOT to believe anything, but I felt embarrassed when people would talk about "god."  I remember thinking, even as a little kid, I know that's pretend, why doesn't that adult know it?!

"I am excited to be a part of a community."

and you should be :)  as others have said this is a great group of nice and smart people.  it's ok to ask questions so don't hesitate.  

one suggestion - change your screen name so we can address you without copy and pasting.  use a fake name if you're concerned about your identity.

I'm an atheist because every religion I have observed thinks that theirs is the one-and-only true portal to salvation which means that none of them are. I grew up as Christian but since childhood I was wondering if God was real.I've been an atheist for more than 4 years now.It's a struggle for me to express myself to others because all of my friends and family members are religious.Social networking is the only way i can express myself without prejudice.I'm glad to be a part of this community and interact with smart and like minded people.

Welcome

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service