We don't belong to any book clubs, but we do a considerable amount of reading or listening to audio books.  Since we live on a 44 foot sailboat, we don't have a lot of room, so we have just recently purchased a Kindle, and love it!  I think though we need two of them as we are wrangling over who gets to use it next.  We read a wide range of fiction and non-fiction, classics, mysteries, historical novels, thrillers, adventure, etc.  Nothing is out of range.

So let's talk books.  Have we read some of the same?  What would you recommend to read or stay away from?

Roz's Legend (HR - have read, IP -in progress, R -resource/reference, NY - Not Yet)

Rating (*****Loved it!, ****Liked it, ***Ok, **Not so much, * Ugh)

Here are some books currently on our bookshelf:

Good without God by Greg Epstein, HR****

Godless by Dan Barker, HR*****

Don't Believe Everything you Think by Thomas Kida, IP-***

The Atheist's Bible - Joan Konner - HR, R****

Asimov's Guide to the Bible, Isaac Asimove, IP, R ***

God Made Man (Kindle) - Barbara G. Walker, IP ****

On the fiction side:

Anna Karenina (Kindle) by Tolstoy, HR** (Just finished.  Know it's a classic, but geez it was slow for me to read.  All of the people are so tortured, particularly the non-believers. I could have saves a lot of time by reading the summary on Wikapedia.  What did you think?)

Devine Secrets of the YaYa Sisterhood (Kindle), HR, ****

The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo (Kindle), Stieg Larsson, IP.  (Russ has read the whole series ***** and really enjoyed them)

One for the Money, etc.....by Janet Evanovich, HR, IP ***** I love these sassy, bounty hunter stories featuring Stephanie Plum.  I started with number one and am on number 8.  I just started reading them on Kindle.  The characters are quirky.  I love Grandma Mazur.  She reminds me of Sophia on the Golden Girls.  I love a book that makes me laugh aloud.

Other authors we really enjoy....Robin Cook, Michael Crichton, John LesCroart, John Grisham, Ken Follett (Pillars of the Earth HR***** and World without End HR *****), Jean Auel. I just got the last of the Jean Auel Earths Children books and am looking forward to reading it. I enjoyed "reading" - listening" to the others on audio.  It will be a different experience reading this next one on the Kindle.   Has anyone read this yet?   We have several of these authors on audio books and listen together. It's a great way to spend the evening while on night watch.   Stephen King and Dean Koontz give us nightmares! 

Your turn!

Tags: atheist, books, bookshelf, library

Views: 504

Replies to This Discussion

Here is a plug for the very short and humorous book,  Alabama Alien Abduction, by our fellow AN member Eric Frank. It covers many topics including the south, atheism, cars, college football and aliens in a funny, inexpensive 40 page short story:

amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Alabama-Alien-Abduction-Eric-Frank/dp/1456511734

powells: http://www.powells.com/biblio/61-9781456511739-1

An excellent book that would be perfect for a  long boat read is "Shantaram" by Gregory Roberts. This epic story of his adventures of escaping from prison and finding a life in India is amazing. Might take 50-100 pages to get warmed up. Johnny Depp bought the rights so it may be a movie soon.

powells: http://www.powells.com/biblio/7-9780312330538-1

I'm adding your suggestions to a list I carry with me in case I find myself in a library or bookstore. Thanks!

I just looked at Shantaram and have added it to my Audible Wish List. Sounds like both my husband and I would enjoy listening to this book...49 hours! Thanks for this recommendation.

Don't know if you saw the movie, The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, has been released in the states yet (we saw it here in Australia, a couple of months ago) but it takes place in India, and it's a delightful movie. There is a book, Kindle version, as well. It has a four and a half star rating. Since I usually enjoy the book more than the movie, I'm adding this one to my reading list too. I highly recommend it.
Under the Banner of Heaven was a good, but disturbing read on many levels. Makes you wonder how susceptible our religious politicians are to personal revelations or those of their church elders? Creepy!

This sounds good, I'm going to have to order it now and I have so many queued up to read!

Partly on impulse and partly because of Bill Maher's interview with Dan Rather on "Real Time" this past Friday, I got a copy of Rather's new book, Rather Outspoken, from the public library.  I literally just now finished the first chapter, "Abu Ghraib," and about all I can say is:

HOLY SHIT.

Worth your time, even based on one chapter?  Yeah, I'd say so ... and I'm liable to recommend it to my daughter, a TV news producer.  Regardless of what you may think of Rather, his descriptions of the interweaving of media and government should be required reading for anyone who cares about how the news is presented (and sometimes manipulated) in the US.

Ahhh thank you Loren! I kept going to order this on Amazon and changing my mind because I have so many I'm reading at present, but like you I saw the Bill Maher interview and I've been dying to read it ever since. I love Dan, I count him as a one of the few 'real' reporters left in our world today. Do you ever catch him on HD? I need to start recording it...

Sadly, I don't get HDNet and wish I did.  I like Rather, too, especially because he's old school and has a low tolerance for bullshit.  I should mention that I just finished Chapter Two, having to do with a certain lieutenant in the Texas Air National Guard who just sorta went missing one day, only to show up in the White House later.  Much as I respect CBS News, any respect I might ever have had for Les Moonves or the corporate apparatus of CBS just evaporated.  [sigh]

I, too, saw Maher's interview with Rather last week. To me, one of the most salient points that was made when the news section of networks went from being financially supported by the entertainment division, to having to become a profit making division on their own. Ergo, the now continuous and deserved lambasting of FOX, MSNBC, and CNN by Jon Stewart.

Yeah I don't watch network news for news anymore other than weather. I don't trust a thing that comes out of their mouths, or scrolls across the screen. As a matter of fact I wrote two local networks recently regarding their overt religiosity and told them the news was no place for that and that they should be forced to state that their services were "For entertainment purposes only" since nothing of use could be gleaned from their broadcasts outside some really sorry meteorology, which could be better forecast tossing bones, or tarot cards.

I highly doubt I'm very popular with them, if I'm even on their radar.... I got a snippy reply from one general manager assuring me he had no idea what I meant by 'religious slant' and asking me to clarify, which I did with no further response from him *SHOCK*. Every, single news cast, they have an anchor or some Billybob dipstick declaring the goodness of GAWD and/or 'thanking' invisible beings for having saved them or for their survival over some dread disease.... they never credit the doctors, or scientists whose inventions saved them... I mean you are inundated with this B.S. if you watch the local news and then there's the Crossroads Motor Company who 'sponsors' on channel... so we know what slant from all blessings, errr uhmmm I mean opinions must fall on that station... 

/okay rant off, breathe in, breathe out... relax... count to ten.... yeah... I'm in the south... I don't remember it being this bad in Michigan....

HDNET on Youtube

I don't know how well this is kept up, or if it's official but there are some good pieces here.

Update regarding Rather Outspoken:

Just finished the chapter: "Presidents I Have Known, Part I," which terminates with one Richard Milhous Nixon ... and here I am again, catching my breath and trying NOT to resort to impolite expletives.  Yeah, I knew that Nixon was a sonofabitch who hated the press, but the degree to which he hated not just Rather and his fellows but also his desire to utterly dominate coverage of himself and punish those whom he perceived as enemies is just beyond the pale.

I'm still shaking my head ... and wondering what Dan's going to educate me about next...

I have got to get that dang book! I will order it through Amazon with my next diatomaceous earth order so that A\N gets the support, but you are such a tease! I want to order it now! .... ambles off mumbling something about it not being mother's day...

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service