We don't belong to any book clubs, but we do a considerable amount of reading or listening to audio books.  Since we live on a 44 foot sailboat, we don't have a lot of room, so we have just recently purchased a Kindle, and love it!  I think though we need two of them as we are wrangling over who gets to use it next.  We read a wide range of fiction and non-fiction, classics, mysteries, historical novels, thrillers, adventure, etc.  Nothing is out of range.

So let's talk books.  Have we read some of the same?  What would you recommend to read or stay away from?

Roz's Legend (HR - have read, IP -in progress, R -resource/reference, NY - Not Yet)

Rating (*****Loved it!, ****Liked it, ***Ok, **Not so much, * Ugh)

Here are some books currently on our bookshelf:

Good without God by Greg Epstein, HR****

Godless by Dan Barker, HR*****

Don't Believe Everything you Think by Thomas Kida, IP-***

The Atheist's Bible - Joan Konner - HR, R****

Asimov's Guide to the Bible, Isaac Asimove, IP, R ***

God Made Man (Kindle) - Barbara G. Walker, IP ****

On the fiction side:

Anna Karenina (Kindle) by Tolstoy, HR** (Just finished.  Know it's a classic, but geez it was slow for me to read.  All of the people are so tortured, particularly the non-believers. I could have saves a lot of time by reading the summary on Wikapedia.  What did you think?)

Devine Secrets of the YaYa Sisterhood (Kindle), HR, ****

The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo (Kindle), Stieg Larsson, IP.  (Russ has read the whole series ***** and really enjoyed them)

One for the Money, etc.....by Janet Evanovich, HR, IP ***** I love these sassy, bounty hunter stories featuring Stephanie Plum.  I started with number one and am on number 8.  I just started reading them on Kindle.  The characters are quirky.  I love Grandma Mazur.  She reminds me of Sophia on the Golden Girls.  I love a book that makes me laugh aloud.

Other authors we really enjoy....Robin Cook, Michael Crichton, John LesCroart, John Grisham, Ken Follett (Pillars of the Earth HR***** and World without End HR *****), Jean Auel. I just got the last of the Jean Auel Earths Children books and am looking forward to reading it. I enjoyed "reading" - listening" to the others on audio.  It will be a different experience reading this next one on the Kindle.   Has anyone read this yet?   We have several of these authors on audio books and listen together. It's a great way to spend the evening while on night watch.   Stephen King and Dean Koontz give us nightmares! 

Your turn!

Tags: atheist, books, bookshelf, library

Views: 521

Replies to This Discussion

"Rather Outspoken" is on my list.  Thanks.  In New Zealand and Australia, Aljazzera News, is broadcast.  It is excellent.  We thought it might be anti-west slant when we first started watching it, but it seems objective enough and the stories are for more in depth than the sound bites we get.  When we are not watching this in a public place (we do not have tv on the boat), we go to the website http://www.aljazeera.com/news/americas/ for our news.  See what you think.

Ahh thank you, I will check that out!

I enjoyed Kazuo Ishiguru's Never let me go some years ago.

At the time I wrote this about it:

When one of us dies early, or leads a damaged life, we wonder quietly: What sort of a life is that, without the home and the car and the two children, a life with a shorter life-expectancy and with a fixed future full of pain? Ishiguro compassionately describes how people may grow into such a life. And he shows it's a normal life, because we all try to live as best as we can and use all our possibilities, even if we have lots of limitations and unfulfilled dreams.

Then Kathy asks:"Why did you have to prove a thing like that, Miss Emily? Did someone think we didn't have souls?"

I think here is the central theme of the novel; Kathy’s question opens my eyes once more to a world full of people who profit by pretending not to hear and to see, and wilful misunderstanding. To me this book is not only about the suffering of the Hailsham children, but also about the suffering of people and animals in ‘our’ world.

In spite of all this, there’s life itself with everything that belongs to it, pettiness and magnanimity, horror and love, fear and acceptance. Wonderful!

This weekend I saw the film. It's true to the story and breathtakingly beautiful.

I love the books you've mentioned.  My Mom and I are into mysteries right now and we're trying to read all of the Nero Wolfe Mysteries by Rex Stout.  We like them so much, I am glad there are a ton of them!

If you like mysteries and strong female characters, try the Anna Pigeon books by Nevada Barr. The main character, Anna, is an interesting person (and an atheist!) who works in National Parks and solves mysteries on the side.

I enjoy them a lot when I'm looking for something light to read. 

Scanning through my "Atheist Materials" directory on my computer and found that, some time back, I had downloaded Carl Sagan's The Demon-Haunted World.  Just nosing through it now and OH, what a treasure trove!  Should be required reading for any atheist!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service