We don't belong to any book clubs, but we do a considerable amount of reading or listening to audio books.  Since we live on a 44 foot sailboat, we don't have a lot of room, so we have just recently purchased a Kindle, and love it!  I think though we need two of them as we are wrangling over who gets to use it next.  We read a wide range of fiction and non-fiction, classics, mysteries, historical novels, thrillers, adventure, etc.  Nothing is out of range.

So let's talk books.  Have we read some of the same?  What would you recommend to read or stay away from?

Roz's Legend (HR - have read, IP -in progress, R -resource/reference, NY - Not Yet)

Rating (*****Loved it!, ****Liked it, ***Ok, **Not so much, * Ugh)

Here are some books currently on our bookshelf:

Good without God by Greg Epstein, HR****

Godless by Dan Barker, HR*****

Don't Believe Everything you Think by Thomas Kida, IP-***

The Atheist's Bible - Joan Konner - HR, R****

Asimov's Guide to the Bible, Isaac Asimove, IP, R ***

God Made Man (Kindle) - Barbara G. Walker, IP ****

On the fiction side:

Anna Karenina (Kindle) by Tolstoy, HR** (Just finished.  Know it's a classic, but geez it was slow for me to read.  All of the people are so tortured, particularly the non-believers. I could have saves a lot of time by reading the summary on Wikapedia.  What did you think?)

Devine Secrets of the YaYa Sisterhood (Kindle), HR, ****

The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo (Kindle), Stieg Larsson, IP.  (Russ has read the whole series ***** and really enjoyed them)

One for the Money, etc.....by Janet Evanovich, HR, IP ***** I love these sassy, bounty hunter stories featuring Stephanie Plum.  I started with number one and am on number 8.  I just started reading them on Kindle.  The characters are quirky.  I love Grandma Mazur.  She reminds me of Sophia on the Golden Girls.  I love a book that makes me laugh aloud.

Other authors we really enjoy....Robin Cook, Michael Crichton, John LesCroart, John Grisham, Ken Follett (Pillars of the Earth HR***** and World without End HR *****), Jean Auel. I just got the last of the Jean Auel Earths Children books and am looking forward to reading it. I enjoyed "reading" - listening" to the others on audio.  It will be a different experience reading this next one on the Kindle.   Has anyone read this yet?   We have several of these authors on audio books and listen together. It's a great way to spend the evening while on night watch.   Stephen King and Dean Koontz give us nightmares! 

Your turn!

Tags: atheist, books, bookshelf, library

Views: 526

Replies to This Discussion

It would take too long to type out all my books, (I'm a hoarder when it comes to books).

At the moment I'm reading "The Leopard" by "Jo Nesbo" and I'm quite impressed and can see myself joining the millions of others discovering the new wave of Scandinavian fiction.

I've just finished reading Conn Iggulden's Ghengis Khan trilogy and loved every word.

Also, The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak is fantastic.

For cat lovers there's "Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats" by TS Elliot and "The Fur Person"***** by May Sarton, also "The Cat Who" mystery books.  The last are best listened to if the narrator is George Guidall *****.  Truly, his voice really enhances the story.  

"Killer Angels" ***** by Michael Shaara also narrated by George Guidall is very good (I've begun looking for recorded books specifically narrated by him).  This is about the battle of Gettysburg and was made into the movie "Gettysburg" in 1993.

Any Dorothy Sayers mystery.  The Amelia Peabody stories by Elizabeth Peters, narated by Barbara Rosenblat are fun mysteries based in Eqypt around the time when Carter was searching for Tutankamen's tomb.

For scifi (not fantasy), I like C.J. Cherryh and Issac Azimov, of course.  

"The Great Maria" is a good historical novel by Cecelia Holland also "Mary Queen of Scots" by Antonia Fraser.

I better stop now.  You must have a wish list about a mile long by now, I know I have from this thread.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I think I have listened to all of the Cat Who mysteries and read by George Guidall.  I agree, he has a great voice.  I've also listened to the Amelia Peabody series.   Sounds like our libraries carry the same media or we have similar tastes.  I'll have to look into the other two suggestions.

Have you listened to any of the Jean Auel Books...Clan of the Cave Bear, Valley of the Horses, Mammoth Hunters, etc.    I love those too!  They are epic sized and take a long time of listening, but I find them fascinating.

I've read the entire Harry Potter series

I'm currently working my way through Bart D. Ehrman's collection of books

I'm reading "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks"

I've read "Stiff: the Curious Life of Human Cadavers"

I've read the biographies of Mohandas Ghandi and Malcolm X - Ghandi's was a VERY DRY read.

I've read the Twilight series by Stephanie Meyers. 

I've read a few Stephen King books: Christine, Cujo, Pet Semetary 

There are several books I started, but never completed - I get bored easily and my attention span is short. It takes me a long time to finish a book because of my short attention span and my tendency to become bored. 

Just finished Stephen King's "Under the Dome". A mixture of "Peyton Place" and "Lord of the Flies". A good quote: "In our house we worshipped the Holy Trinity: Santa, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy". The novel must be to New England small-town life what Midsomer Murders is to the English rural idyll, with some sci-fi and a body count of hundreds for good measure. 877 pages and never a dull moment.
Nice quote.  Sounds like our house.

Just discovered the Skeptics Annotated Bible.  It is online at http://skepticsannotatedbible.com.  I love it!  I find that atheists often know more about the Bible (all of it), than the cherry-picking believers.

Having spent some of my early years going to Sunday School and Bible summer camp, I know many of the Bible stories, and used to drive my grandma crazy asking questions like, but who did Cain marry? Do snakes really talk?  How could Samson be weakened by having his hair cut off?  How come I can't walk on water?

This online book points out all of the inconsistencies, the good, bad, and ugly.  Fascinating reading and there are links to the annotated Quran (Koran), Book of Mormon.

We just downloaded two audio books to listen to on our passage to Vanuatu, the Golden Compass, and A Walk in the Woods.  I can hardly wait to leave so that we can listen to them.  Thanks for all the suggestions.

Just finished The Golden Compass, A Walk in the Woods, Gulliver's Travels, and the Infidel.  We enjoyed all of them.

The Infidel was excellent, but so sad.  Islamic practice directly from the Quran with little interpretation is so degrading to women and promotes out of control, lack of discipline in boys and men, it is hard to see how anyone can drag themselves out of this medieval pit.  The author is a very brave and remarkable woman.

This confirms our belief that there should be no tax exempt status for religions, and particularly for religions that so brutally disregard human rights...that pretty much sums up all of them.

The religions that do actually respect human rights end up coming very close to humanism.

I recommend the website www.religioustolerance.org to theist friends/acquaintances. The authors (of various backgrounds) attempt to report objectively on various belief systems, and their intersection with "hot" social and political issues. Their judgment of believers' practices and actions is based on humanist values, and they bluntly call out problems like repression of women and special rights for heterosexuals; no free passes in the name of religion.

Hello Boo22,

My husband enjoys Clive Cussler as well.  We are sailing around/about the World on our Nauticat Ketch, and currently in Noumea, New Caledonia, heading for Australia later this week I think (depending on the weather).  One of the interesting things about sailing are the book exchanges in Marina and yacht club offices (take one, leave one).  That's how Russ started with Clive Cussler. Me, I have a kindle.  Would definitely recommend one for you through Amazon.com.  You can get the kindle and all sorts of books less expensively than hard copies, almost any title or genre from anywhere in the world I think.

I am currently reading the Moral Landscape by Sam Harris and Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett. We just finished reading Inside Scientology on the kindle.  Boy was that interesting.  Welcome to atheism.  You may also want to examine Humanism as a complementary life stance. Cheers, Roz http://WorrallWind.blogspot.com

2X Will Self. "The Quantity Theory of Insanity", a satire on the anti-psychiatry movement and "Dorian" a re-telling of Wilde's "A Picture of Dorian Grey". Both very good.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service