My friend came up to me two days ago (March 25) and said that it was me that converted her to atheism. I showed her a couple of books, websites, and some of my favorites on youtube about a month ago, when she asked me about Atheism. I didn't really intend to convert her purposely, we were just casually yapping in my house about nothing and the subject came up. She thanked me too! This is the first person I ever converted!

If anyone has similar or great stories, please share.

Views: 701

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Former christian...100% atheist. Evidence is piling up against your opinion.
Daniel, I have to join in and contend against your statement, "You can never convert christians to atheists 100%". Some young people claim the term "atheist" as just a way to rebel against their parents? Or because they were mad at a god that they still really believed in? But that's not atheism. People who are really atheists are people who have a very enlightening realization of how ridiculous religion really is (no offense), and furthermore, the idea of God or gods also seems equally ridiculous, or at least highly unconvincing. It's like finding out that Santa Clause doesn't exist. It would be very hard to fathom a true atheist going back on something like that. Can you convince yourself to believe in Santa again??
People have been coming to the bright light of Atheism for as many centuries as Xianity existed. One by one. It's a lonely road & a rocky one, but well worth travelling. I would never take a single step backward. I am FREE !
To join this little bandwagon of people who have pointed out that your statement is erroneous. One can certainly go from Christian to full atheist. I was born and raised into a family where my Mother and Father's sides where all 'devout' Catholics. Of Which, I have been enlightened to the fact that it's a farce.
I a cradle Catholic & schooled Catholic. Even as a child I had 'questions' about religion. All this was about 70 years ago. I assure you, there isn't one iota of Xianity left in me, nor has there been for over a half-century. I will probably 'depart these shores' soon, & for me, today is a good day to die. Or any day after today.
I disagree... the reason I am an atheist is BECAUSE I WAS a Christian.
After seeing the holes in the the idea of faith, it was an easy trip to full blown
atheism.
The Christianity machine is great for creating atheists....100% atheists.
"Agnostic Christian, I guess you could call her."

This is incorrect. Agnosticism is a statement about "knowledge". All Christians are agnostic Christians because they can have no real knowledge about the god described in the bible.

If your mother lacks belief in that god she is an atheist, whether she cares to admit that to herself or not.
Tom, I feel like I have to correct you. Agnosticism is a statement about *an individual's attitude* about knowledge.

An agnostic is a person who *believes* that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God or of anything beyond material phenomena; a person who claims neither faith nor disbelief in God.

I agree that Christians ..."can have no real knowledge about the god described in the bible." as you say. However, Christians usually don't *believe* this to be true. Their attitude about knowledge is that they DO know. This is why they are not agnostic, generally.

So an Agnostic Christian would be someone that admits that even though she couldn't know for sure, she still thinks Christianity might be true. Also, there are "cultural" christians who go take part in religious society just for the social aspect of it, but still take the agnostic attitude toward knowledge and those might be considered "agnostic christians" as well.
Cher, there are millions of 'social Xians' in America. The social aspect is a major 'prop' under Xianity, especially in our country. If you took a detailed survey of all the people in any one specific church,of their specific beliefs, the results would confound the preachers who shepherd them. And anyone else who troubled to study them.
I've never converted anyone but I did sway one person that claimed to be Episcopalian but whom I could tell obviously didn't really buy it. Turns out he had a bunch of doubts and was mostly over it but was sticking to his "beliefs" more to not upset family members and a girlfriend than anything else.

I wouldn't say I coverted him but I definitely brought him the rest of the way "out of the closet", lol
I never "converted" anyone, but I got my own mother (who is catholic) to question her beliefs. She admitted that she doesn't even like the catholic church and it's interpretation of the bible. Not only that, but she even went as far as admitting the bible was the word of man, not God. Though she still believes in Jesus/God and goes to church. She said the only reason she goes to church is for the community aspect. I have no problem with that at all. Whatever makes her feel happy I guess.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service