My friend came up to me two days ago (March 25) and said that it was me that converted her to atheism. I showed her a couple of books, websites, and some of my favorites on youtube about a month ago, when she asked me about Atheism. I didn't really intend to convert her purposely, we were just casually yapping in my house about nothing and the subject came up. She thanked me too! This is the first person I ever converted!

If anyone has similar or great stories, please share.

Views: 748

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's a very cogent argument James. With fundamentalists, it's like trying to teach a pig to whistle. It don't work, & it irritates the pig. :-)
I've freed 5 minds to date....inviting them to think critically does it every time. That's followed by having them pick up a copy of Sam Harris' Letter to a Christian Nation, Some "Jesus-Camp" and the God Delusion (audio book format owns!!!)

Unplug them from the system and give them reality :)
You mean turned someone into a freethinker?
Perhaps Ingersol CD's, O'hare audio CD's....
Seems being able to sleep at night and 'science' are good at doing the switch as well...
Becoming an Atheist is simply removing a cross from ones back. For me, there's no room on my back for any more goddam crosses.
Working on it. Working on it.

Unfortunately, the guy I was working on picked up a Southern Baptist girlfriend, and he's a total idiot who doesn't do much thinking above the belt. She's got an argument that I can't top.
The great thing about that argument is that if it is actually being used, there's probably some Biblical law-breaking going on. Even if it is only being fantasized (lust in the heart ....)
Yeah, but alas, he doesn't seem to have the necessary self-awareness to see the hypocrisy. Most Southern Baptists I've known don't.
lol
nope. I haven't converted anybody. I'm just hoping that I've helped clear up some misconceptions about atheism. That's the best I can hope for. :)
Smells like church in here. ;)
Since I went public with my Atheism upon retirement 22 years I have tried my best to get people to THINK about religions. Hundreds of letters to the editor, picketing churches the White House, the Congress the Supreme Court, etc. Believe I've 'converted' a few Agnostics to Atheism, a few Xians to at least question the doctrines & dogma of Xianity. Made a lot of friends & quite a few enemies too. I cherish both.
Yup, sounds like the mission statement of The Atheist Experience show ... not the official mission statement that they rattle off at the beginning of the show, but the real, personal reason they do it, which they give when they get someone calling in asking them why they would do a show about Atheism. That's the most we can reasonably hope for, in most situations, just nudging people a little bit in our direction, or at least helping mitigate the damage done by idiots like Ray Comfort.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service