I'm asking because earlier today while I was walking to class, a woman handed me a "trillion dollar bill". It was not until I read the back that I found out it was one of those religious stuff....trying to tell you to repent your sins so you don't go to hell >_>

Here's what it said:

The trillion dollar question: Will you go to heaven when you die? Here's a quick test: Have you ever stolen anything, or used God's name in vain? Jesus said, "Whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery in his heart." Have you looked with lust? Will you be guilty on Judgement Day? If you have done those things, God sees you as a lying, thieving, blasphemous adulterer at heart. The Bible warns that if you are guilty you will end up in Hell. God, who the Bible says is "Rich in Mercy" sent his son to suffer and die on the cross for guilty sinners. We broke God's law, but Jesus paid our fine. That means he can legally dismiss our case. He can commute our death sentence. "For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have everlasting life." Then he rose from the dead and defeated death. Please repent (turn from sin) today and God will grant everlasting life to all who trusts in Jesus. Then read your Bible daily and obey it.

Yeah, I was pretty pissed that I got this stupid thing but I decided to keep it and wrote all over the words like "Hell doesn't exist" and stuff like that :P

so if you've received something similar, what did you do? I guess most of you would rip it up and throw it away? Would any of you confront the person that gave the paper to you? :P

Views: 302

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jesica - great post.

I have heard this topic discusses on some Atheist podcats. It seems that some atheist collect this kind of material, mostly to have a laugh at it.

I do like reading them for a laugh (although I do not collect them).

The "Whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery in his heart." argument always makes me laugh. It was a common one when I was growing up in the cathoilic church.

It is laughable 'cause it tries to prevent sin, but actually gives permission to sin. If I have already committed the sin of adultery, then what difference does it make to actually do it?

The xtian brothers that taught religious education at my high school did not have an answer for that. But they were quick to physically punish me for raising the objection.

I've gotten loads of them throughout the years.  I suppose I would decline them if I knew what they were before I got them, but that never happens.  They'll find ways to ninja-shove fliers into your hands anyway.

There was a guy who was handing out fliers at the grocery store.  I didn't say much when he gave it to me, but then I did the passive-aggressive thing and ratted him out to the store.  Most places have no solicitation policies.  So... yeah.  I got him kicked out.  (Mwahahahaha~!)

No, I wouldn't confront them. Best to keep the bat shit crazies at arm's length.

I agree Pat - don't want the crazies coming after you.
I get some in the mail and sometimes on the door.
I just throw them away.

I agree with Steph.  My daughter and her friends were walking across their college campus their Freshman year, and someone put a cheap bible into one of her friends hands.  The friend threw it in the trash and kept walking, never missing a beat.  I would've been afraid some looney would've come after me if I were her!

I've gotten plenty of fliers and church brochures from Jehovah's Witnesses left on my porch or hung on my doorknob, but they're never handed to me because I don't answer the door for them. I've even trained my youngest brother (the only one of three that my mom hasn't gotten to with her church nonsense) to help make it seem like nobody's home when they come knocking. For a 6 year old, he's quite the professional.

As a rule, I pick up a religious flyer or tract left in a public place, to take it out of circulation and put it in the paper recycling.

(Once I returned to leave a copy of "Kissing Hank's Ass".)

That's what I was thinking Grin.  Take it out of circulation & into the recycling bin.  Kissing Hank's Ass is a great one to replace them with.

Oh, you mean one of these, right?

No, I haven't received one, but if confronted around here in a public place (not bloody likely in Cleveland, Ohio, to be sure!), I might be sorely tempted to tear it up in front of him/her, then take 'em on at their own game.  Would depend on how feisty I was feeling, whether I had the time to spare, things of that nature.

Were this manner of thing common, I might carry THIS around to lay on 'em in return:

and I wonder: if people, ordinary people got in these idiots' faces more often, maybe they'd get the message.  I mean, let's be real: they do it BECAUSE they get away with it.

Wow, that would shut 'em up.  But there's a better way.  Show them you know about their Holy Book than they do.   I love to tell proselytizing J.W.'s and L.D.S.'s about the actual sin of Sodom being xenophobia and Lot's impregnation of his own daughters, pointing out, even if the Sodomites were homos, why does God put down gays but praise fathers who screw their daughters?  They go away.  Quick.

@ Loren - Love it, stole it and I think I'm going to have those printed to carry around!

Yep that's the thing I received

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

Latest Activity

Joan Denoo replied to Gene Sokolowski's discussion Great New Book: Taking Liberties: Why Religious Freedom Doesn't Give You the Right to Tell Other People What to Do
17 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to Gene Sokolowski's discussion Great New Book: Taking Liberties: Why Religious Freedom Doesn't Give You the Right to Tell Other People What to Do
18 minutes ago
22 minutes ago
Joan Denoo liked Gene Sokolowski's discussion Great New Book: Taking Liberties: Why Religious Freedom Doesn't Give You the Right to Tell Other People What to Do
23 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to Gene Sokolowski's discussion ALL Politicians Should Be Made to Read: "Homosexuality, atheism etc: What's it to you?"
32 minutes ago
Mike Mitchell commented on Mike Mitchell's blog post Why You Shouldn’t Announce Your Atheism
34 minutes ago
Tom Sarbeck posted a discussion
35 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to matthew greenberg's discussion Kansas "Religious Liberty" bill
46 minutes ago
Napoleon Bonaparte posted videos
55 minutes ago
Richard C Brown replied to Luara's discussion Meet Brother Richard
1 hour ago
Richard C Brown replied to Luara's discussion Meet Brother Richard
1 hour ago
Napoleon Bonaparte commented on Napoleon Bonaparte's video
1 hour ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service