I cant remember my bible stories well enough to know how many times God has created

life on earth only to distroy it all because he didnt like the way things turned out.

I can only remember the great flood, can someone name the other "mass extinctions"

by the hand of God?

I was having a conversation with my christian cousin about the meaning of the word

omnisient as used in the bible.

She said that the the word has been missunderstood to mean that god can know the future.

God knows everything there is to know, but the future has not happened yet, therfore, it is unknowable, even by god!

The word omniscient does not mean knowing the future, it only means knowing everything there is to know in the present tense.

In other words, god could not have known that his earthly creations would be unsatisfactory to him, hence, distroy it and start over!

She said that nowhere in the bible does it say that god knows the future, only that he

is "all knowing", which does not necessisarily mean knowing what will happen in the future.

I believe the bible does say god knows all things, past and future, but can not site

the verse.

Maybe someone who knows the bible better then I can chime in :)

Views: 82

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

""all knowing", which does not necessisarily mean knowing what will happen in the future." - Sorry, but that sounds like a cop out.
Reminds me of that scene in Starwars where Luke is complaining to Obe One's ghost that he told him that Vader killed his father all the while Vader was his father. Obe then says yes he did - from a certain point of view.
Consider as well that if god is not omniscient, he is also not omnipotent.  The ability to see into the future would be the result of knowing all things at the present, and being able to manipulate all things in the present would still give the ability to control all things in the future~ free will might be brought up, but, just as in exodus, god has the ability to manipulate the minds of humans, ie "hardening Pharoh's heart."  Simply put, if god cannot know the future, he cannot be omnipresent or omnipotent as well, as those attributes lead to omniscience in the sense of understanding the outcome of the present.  Also to be considered would be the destruction and nullification of the notion of "god's plan," especially in relation to tragedies, since he himself would not be able to the end result of his actions~ therefore you would, in a sense, have god putting people through intense agony and distress in the hopes that it will benefit them, which would be no more justification than that which could be given for any crime committed by man.

Title: Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam

Author: Omar Khayyam

Translator: Edward Fitzgerald

LXXII.
And that inverted Bowl they call the Sky, 
Whereunder crawling coop'd we live and die,  
Lift not your hands to It for help
—for It  As impotently moves as you or I. 

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service