Quick question to you all, has Christmas been secularized?

I've thought about this for a few days and while this should probably wait until after Thanksgiving, I thought I might ask what you thought about the secularization of Christmas.

As of now, as I type this, I happen to believe that Christmas has been, for all intents and purposes, secularized. It is a religious holiday in name only like Halloween.

For me, evidence of this is that Christians feel compelled to prompt us to 'Remember the reason for the season' (which can only mean that we shouldn't forget that the plane of the Earth's rotation is not parallel to the plane of the Earth's orbit around the Sun) implying that people have forgotten.

I'm of the opinion that the Christians have already lost the war on this one, the co-opting of pagan rituals hundreds of years ago to get people to care about Jesus more seems to have backfired.

I think the secularization of Christmas has been done. What do you think?

Views: 39

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was asking a similar question here, but with the spin of what is the potential damage we bring on our "sacred" secular humanist institutions such as civil rights, democracy, science, reason, logic etc. if we take meaningless sacred things like "christmas" away from religious people? Are we poking the insane tiger or swarm of insane bees with a sharp stick, just asking them to come attack science, democracy and education under the force of "freedom of religion"...effectively using our own weapon against us?
...just a little thing, everyone seems to have forgotten : it doesn´t matter, if Xmas or Easter or any other "ecclestical" holyday (HOLYday ?! ahaa...) is based on a pagan festivity or not, as an Atheist you´re definitely not supposed to celebrate them - the "tradition" you´re calling on is a christian, and, of course, as an Atheist you´ve decided not to follow any religious tradition, pagan or christian or else, `cause it always includes the existence of a god or gods...

So, I don´t know much about American "holy"days, but the only true secular ones here in Austria are "international labourer´s day - 1st of May" and the "26th of October - our national day", each other is a ecclestical one - seems to be the same in the States, including "Thanksgiving (whom do you thank, eh ?)"...

I wouldn´t say, that you shouldn´t enjoy these days free of work or school, you just should keep in mind, that those are not Atheistic "holy"days....It´s not a matter of the name, such a day is given, nor if you celebrate by going to the church or not, or if you changed the bonds of christianity to the bonds of capitalistic society of over-consuming, it´s a matter of realizing, that you´re actively working against your so-called conviction, and enjoying an ancient tool of roman-catholic church.

In my opinion, the only true way (me likes to have labour-free days too, christian or not) for an Atheist would be to reject ecclestical "holy"days and demand for secular ones. But, to avoid beeing flamed here, I´m not so straight on acting, everyone likes to have some times for themselves, and so, as it´s quite an utopian claim to call for secular days of one´s own use in a religious dominated society, be fine, and see my posting as a rather theoretical one...
hahahaha

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

The Devian replied to Rick Springfield's discussion Scientific Adam and Eve in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
5 minutes ago
Grinning Cat added a discussion to the group Health & Fitness
14 minutes ago
Grinning Cat replied to Ruth Anthony-Gardner's discussion Ebola contagion through air in the group Health & Fitness
35 minutes ago
L. Alcorn replied to L. Alcorn's discussion Early Christianity
59 minutes ago
Patricia replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Don't leave your keys on your desk: company copies keys from photos for $6 in the group Hang With Friends
1 hour ago
Loren Miller replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Don't leave your keys on your desk: company copies keys from photos for $6 in the group Hang With Friends
1 hour ago
Steve replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Don't leave your keys on your desk: company copies keys from photos for $6 in the group Hang With Friends
1 hour ago
The Devian replied to scott martins's discussion IS EVERYBODY 100% POSITIVE THERE IS NO GOD?
1 hour ago
Loren Miller replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Don't leave your keys on your desk: company copies keys from photos for $6 in the group Hang With Friends
1 hour ago
Future replied to MattyLJ's discussion Ever had a family member die
1 hour ago
Michael Penn replied to Freethinker31's discussion Family Values
1 hour ago
Patricia replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Don't leave your keys on your desk: company copies keys from photos for $6 in the group Hang With Friends
1 hour ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service